Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Series II - make up air

Options
Peddlar
Peddlar Member Posts: 1
Just came from a home with a 70 year old, cast iron, nat gas, hot water boiler.  Homeowners love the boiler, and hate to be parting with it, but they know that it's time.  They stressed to me that they want a well built basic 80% boiler - "no fancy parts to fail which need to be special ordered".  I was thinking a Burnham Series II. 

First of all, this 1940 home is built like a bomb shelter, located in Kensington, MD.  The boiler , which is way oversized (178,000 BTU) for about 2,400 sq ft,  feeds 120 degree water into concrete copper imbedded radiant floor on the first and second level.  The half finished basement is currently heated by the presence of the boiler in the adjacent room.  Homeowner says that the highest gas bill that they've encountered is about $225. 

The home has recently had a water heater installed, which vents with the boiler, and the installation was failed for not having enough make-up air.  There are no grilles in the mechanical room door, nor the basement door.

I thought that this would be a great candidate for a "fan in a can", but customer doesn't like the idea.  I know of them, but not much about them.  Can you control the amount of air that they bring in.  How well do they seal when the fan is not operating?  The homeowner still wants the heat radiating from the boiler to heat the adjoining room.  Can I accomplish this, and keep the inspectors happy, or is there some other option that's out there?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    By definition

make up air is to replace air removed by mechanical exhausting. With that I assume there must be a dryer or something that is in the combustion zone. Is this the case or are you taking about air for combustion?

If so the fan-in a- can is set up according to the total BTU's in the CAZ and the kit will be interlocked with all gas appliances in the CAZ so it will only run when a call for heat or hot water occurs. They otherwise do not let any air in.

Why not run a baseboard into the adjoining room and zone it for when it is occupied using a TRV.
  • peddlar123
    peddlar123 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    combustion air

Yes, there is a dryer in the room, however, you're right, I was talking about combustion air.  After thinking about it a bit, compared to boilers of old, current boilers are well insulated, and won't heat the adjacent room like the old dinasaur does.  I'm going to measure the basement for combustion air, and will determine the best method for running baseboard to the finished basement room.  Thanks for your response.

I'm also going to sell the customer on the idea of a fan-in-a-can.
This discussion has been closed.