Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas boiler

JD1540
JD1540 Member Posts: 2
I am in the process of investigating converting from oil to gas heating. I have received two proposals. The first recommends the Burnham ESC series 3 boiler (140,000 btu)  with an IQ system an outside sensor and the 4" exhaust pipe through the side of the house. The second proposal is for a Burnham ES2 Boiler (140,000 btu) with an IQ sensor and it recommends running the exhaust through the existing chimney. My questions are (A) what are the differences between the two boilers, (B) which one am I better off with and why; and (c) am I better off running the exhaust through the chimney or the side of the house and why. Thank you in advance for your response(s). 

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Here is the

information you need, up to you to make a decision.

The ES2 is an 85% chimney vented product. The boiler comes with a flexible insulated "B-Vent" connector for the chimney connection to connect to a single or double wall chimney liner. With the ES2 the chimney must be lined.

The ESC (Enhanced Sealed combustion) is sidewall or roof vented with AL29-4C. You can power vent or use sealed combustion.You can vent up the chimney as long as the stainless is piped all the way up the chimney using the chimney as a chase.

We also have a series 3 which is an ES2 without baffles between the block sections and is 84% efficient and does not include the insulated "B"-vent connector.

They all use the same G3 block as the SCG/PVG and can return 110f water temp and the IQ control system.

Non of the above products allow the use of PVC, must use AL29-4C
This discussion has been closed.