Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

6th grade hvac career day

Options
xfield
xfield Member Posts: 1
Just found out I have to give hvac career day presentation to 6th graders for 1 hour this wednesday. Any suggetions  would be a great help. An hour seems like an eternity. Thanks

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Show them there power of water, fire and STEAM...

All kids, mostly boys, are fascinated by steam.

I've done this with teenagers, and I know it will work with younger kids.

Get a new gallon paint can, two bricks, a cup of water, a good torch, a mallet and a 2 X 4.

Set the can on top of the bricks, and pour 1/4 cup of water into the can. Light your torch, and put it beneath the can. Explain to them that the old systems of yesteryear were heated with steam vapors, and once it starts vaporizing, shut the torch off, and quickly and carefully put the lid onto the can and seal it with the mallet and 2 X 4.

Now, set the can aside, and distract them with a soldering project or whatever. In less than 5 minutes, the can will have almost completely collapsed due to the collapsing steam. You can then explain the 1500 times steam expansion when going from water to vapor, and what happens when it collapses, a 1500 time reduction in volume.

Lots of oohs and ahhs..

Good on you for trying to get these kids involved in our trades at an early age. You never know when one of them may show up at your shop door looking for work when they turn 19...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Take some controls

especially electronic controls. This will appeal to the computer age kids that our trade is not just pipe and grit and grime but technology.

This is a documentary on blue collar workers as related to white collar workers it is excellent if you can get hold of it.

[u][size=16][color=#0000ff][size=16][color=#0000ff]www.thetradesmendocumentary.com[/size][/color][/size][/color][/u] 
This discussion has been closed.