Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Barometric Damper Upgrade to Atmospheric Gas Steam

2»

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    In addition those fusible

links are either included in the thermocouple itself or attached to the front plate of the combustion chamber are part of the FVIR technology and the purpose is that in the event of flammable vapors (such as gasoline) entering the water heater the fusible links will melt and shut down the pilot and main gas flow insuring safe shutdown.

Those water heaters by the way are even worse with draft hoods than the water heaters before FVIR requirements.
  • Tim McElwain
    I think you covered

it all Jim.

I would ask those who are having difficulty with this procedure, what do you do to solve these drafting, venting, combustion problems that seem to be unsolvable? How do you take care of the customers problem?

I might add however when I get into a conflict with inspectors and AHJ on these jobs and they conditions are unsafe as far as I am concerned and I am the liable party I simply make the appliances inoperative (disconnect the fuel source and cap it off), send a registered letter to the customer, manufacturer of the equipment, and the local AHJ relieving myself of any liability should someone put this "killer" back in service.

It makes no sense to me that as a technician who has been doing this for many years and knows things that most folks touching these systems never knew and do not seem to want to know. If I can make it safer and more efficient than original design allowed WHY NOT!
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    FVIR

You are correct Tim.  The thing that scares me is some of the temperatures I have measured in there outlets below the hood. Twice I have measured outlet temperatures in excess of 600 degrees on brand new heaters.  Most others are running between 520 and 550 degrees.  On old water heaters if the outlet temperatures got that high they either needed descaling, new baffle or replacing.

It doesn't take much to melt the fusible links either.  I can see lots of problems developing down the road.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    yays and nays

I never realized that this was such a controversial subject.  I am just a guy with an atmospheric boiler, trying to make it run as best as it can.   Thanks to you guys "The yays and nays are on the table"  I have received the quote from the heating contractor.  The price is less than I thought.  I am in the process of confirming the details of the project.  Tim, I will make sure that pilot is dull red.  

Got another question, This boiler was likely a mid winter emergency replacement.  The burner tube tray looks like it needs an adjustment.  It just looks off a bit to me.  What part of the boiler are the burner tubes supposed to be lined up with, or does it matter? 

• Tim McElwain
    The company

that Jim connected you with are I am sure well trained in all aspects of burner operation and design. Show them your concern about the burners and they will make sure they are okay.

To answer your question the burner tubes are aligned with the orifice spuds (this is were the gas comes out) and also they usually have an attachment in the back of the boiler that they must sit straight in.
This discussion has been closed.