Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

White Rogers 1311 and indirect water heater

Hello,

I recently replaced my old boiler with a prestige solo 175 and added a smart 40 indirect fire water heater.  The water heater is run by a white rogers 1311 zone valve (3 wire).  The water heater has 2 terminals to use to connect to the zone valve.  How would I wire the water heater to the zone valve?  All the rest of the zone valves (4)  are also 1311s wired to thermostats throughout the house.  Would I be able to use a zone valve controller with the 1311s?  A little confused how to get the zone valve on the water heater working.  Everthing else is perfect. Thanks in advance for your help and if you need more detail I am happy to provide it. 

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    The aquastat is two wire

control I assume, the 1311 is a SPDT zone valve power to open power to close used with a three wire thermostat. You will not be able to operate it with a SPST switch you need a series 80 Zone Valve such as a TACO or Honeywell.
  • Blackforestnoob
    Blackforestnoob Member Posts: 9
    yes, the aquastat is 2 wire.

Would it be possible to use a spdt relay between the aquastat and zone valve?
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    You Could, But....

You could get a 1361 2-wire powerhead. But really, if I was you, I would pipe it as the install manual shows. Use a pump for the Indirect, with check valve in both pumps. Then use the IDWH Sensor  in the tank. That way you can have the tank temperature displayed, you can change the settings easier, but most importantly, you can take advantage of the Outdoor Temp Compensation and Indirect Water Heater Priority that comes built into the boiler control. So you can get what you paid for; which is more than you have gotten so far!
This discussion has been closed.