Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

recommendations

lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
I have a friend who has a thermopride furnace. It's approximately 20 years old, burns about 600 gallons of oil a year and has been completely serviced every year for the last 8 by me. I see no indications of any problems with the HX. I had planned to upgrade the control, pump and burner motor this year just because of age. While servicing it, he mentioned maybe it's time to replace it. I'm not thinking it is needed due to condition but maybe it's not a bad idea to give it thought. I know Thermopride's are tough, but is there a "good age" to replace one? I dont like to spend someone's money unless it's a benifit to them...

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Tom I have a friend of mine

who has a Thermopride 25 years now, he will not let me change it (wanted him to go gas). Still runs great and the local oil company services it every year and they give it an A +. One of the best warm air furnaces ever made by my estimation.
  • lchmb
    Thanks Tim

I do agree it's an excellent system. I figured upgrading the controls would be a huge boost to the unit but just wanted to see other opinions. I like to be proactive but not sure it would be needed with this unit...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Thermopride

That was why people invested in them, they last forever. Just keep an eye on the chamber. Most likely it has the 2 piece brick chamber, and will start to separate. Line or replace it if it has the potential to expose the heat exchanger. The older units were copper coated. Does it have the Beckett or Wayne? They are built like no other. I would consider a stack damper, experiment with pump pressures and smaller nozzles to increase the efficiency, but I would not replace it due to a number.
  • lchmb
    Thanks Bill

It has the Beckett, the chamber looks like the day it was made and it's presently running 11% co2 45ppm co 375 stack. I do have a damper on it. I tinkered with the pump pressure/ nozzle size but honestly it runs pretty good by spec. Old saying, if it aint broke....:) thanks again..
  • billtwocase
    anytime my friend

I figured you had that set to squeeze every BTU out that it can. He may save more by having an energy audit done on the house itself. It may need some buttoning up. Outside air intake may also be of some help there
  • lchmb
    hmm

Never thought of an air tube. Awsome idea!!
  • billtwocase
    should help

keep from pulling in the cold air from outside cooling off the house
This discussion has been closed.