Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wireless Thermostats

Options
T_F
T_F Member Posts: 2
Does anyone have any experience in Wireless thermostats?

we have a existing 30 unit building with Pneumatic thermostats. we want to get rid of them as part of the proposal to replace the heating system.

My concern is that 30 different owners signaling the control and causing confusion and the possibility of too much or too little heat.

Thanks in Advance,

Tim

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    May I presume

What are the individual thermostats controlling?  Whether it is steam or water, that many thermostats are almost always controlling valves for individual spaces, and the heat source (hot water or steam boiler) is controlled in some other way.  I'll bet you will find individual valves or vents...

First thing you need to do is to figure out how the system is controlled now; those 30 or so thermostats are certainly not all controlling the boiler!

The problem with wireless thermostats in a setting like that is going to be keeping them from interfering with each other.  I'm sure such things are available.  Whether they are cost effective or not, though, is going to be another question.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • T_F
    T_F Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Getting clearer

Jamie,

The boiler control is a Tekmar 275 and will operate the system. The wireless Therms will only operate a zone valve or in this case individual hot water zone vales. 30 of them.

I too am concerned about the wireless interference. I am looking into that concern and need to learn more. The expense to re-wire the apartments for thermostats is what I am trying to avoid. I also need to eliminate the pneumatics, they are a pain in the butt to maintain.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Wireless Zoning

How about Uponor wireless. They make acuator zone valves. Using them on a zone valve job as we speak.

http://uponorpro.com/en/Products-and-Applications/Products/Heating-and-Cooling.aspx

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Buergermeister
    Buergermeister Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2011
    Options
    TCS

TCS Basys has a really neat Wireless network capability, with boiler controls.  Little pricy on the start up and they want you to spend a few hundred a year for access through their web site.  But for what you get it might be exactly what you are looking for.

spelling
  • MrDucks
    MrDucks Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thermostatic Zone Valves

Suggest replacing W/ Thermostatic Zone Valves in each unit VS wireless stats. What type ZV are threre now.
This discussion has been closed.