Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Short cycling Weil-McLain GV90+4

Options
We just completed installing a GV90+4 condensing boiler on a cast iron radiator system.  It is piped primary secondary.  Our problem upon start up was that the boiler was short cycling.  The boiler piping return was getting blazing hot after about 10 minutes of run time and then cycling the burner off.  It eventually heated the loops but this seemed very odd.  The return boiler piping was getting hot and the reurn cold.  Upon the burner shut down (apparently on its aquastat high limit) the temperatures would immediately flip flop back to "norma".  Boiler supply hot and return cooler.  And I'm there scratching my head for the first time in a long while.  It seems to me that there is something going on with the two internal circs, but I cant figure out what?? ANY INPUT?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Sounds like...

...the boiler pump is shutting down on boiler temperature, but the system pump is still running from the switching relay or other control from the thermostat. When the boiler pump is off, you pretty much have a "standard" system, with one pump. Primary/Secondary is going to cause a bit of natural short-cycling because you'll always be bypassing water right back to the boiler. So far, I haven't seen it cause a problem yet.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    More Info is Needed

Can you post some pics of the near boiler piping and perhaps a piping diagram and what size circulators you're using?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • wonderingY
    wonderingY Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Loose return temp sensor

The plug to the return water temperature sensor was not corrected properly which caused the by-pass circulator to continuously run.  The boiler would cycle off on limit and then the system circ would work properly.  The end.
  • wonderingY
    wonderingY Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Loose return temp sensor

The plug to the return water temperature sensor was not corrected properly which caused the by-pass circulator to continuously run.  The boiler would cycle off on limit and then the system circ would work properly.  The end.
This discussion has been closed.