Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Feet of head

Options
Techman
Techman Member Posts: 2,144
How do you figure a circulator's "head " when the linear feet of pipe is close to 900'- 1000' with a flat plate heat exchanger at the end ? total length x .06 and then what? This is a chilled water system. And what is the GPM thru 4' PVC ?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    GPM?

We need to know how many GPM you're trying to move to begin the calclation.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options

The HX manufacturer should give you a pressure drop.

You can run any number of GPM through any size pipe. It's just not always practical...or quiet.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Ft of head

The circulator is supposed to move 500 GPM. Pressure across the circ is 20psi return and 42psi supply. I will have to get the heat exchange info. Thanks! 
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    WYSIWYG...

What you SEE is what you GET...

Obtain the pump manufacturers performance curve. You MUST know the "trim" that the impeller received, if any.

Convert PSI seen across the running pump to feet of head because that is what all manufacturer use in their charts.

There are 2.307 feet of head per 1 PSI. So in your case, 22PSI X 2.307 = 51 feet of head. Enter the manufacturers curve on the left vertical at 51 feet of head, and move across until you intercept the slope of the performance curve, then drop straight down and read the GPM being moved for that given condition. I doubt that you have any flow variables on a cooling tower, so WYSIWYG.

As far as what it is SUPPOSED to be seeing flow rate wise, that is usually called out by the chiller manufacturer. I know there are some rules of thumb out there as it pertains to flow per ton capacity, but have never used it before. I always depend on reliable (manufacturers) requirements as opposed to R.O.T.

HTH

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.