Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wasting condensate

Options
Hi all,

I've got a one pipe steam setup with wet returns. I recently replaced the decrepit wet returns and a bunch of supply piping. I included necessary valves for a pressurized blowdown, for isolating the returns (for cleaning) etc. Dan reccomends "wasting" the condensate when initially firing up a system with a bunch of new piping. This makes a lot of sense- no reason to let all that gunk and oil enter the boiler.

My question though is this: what's stopping live steam from existing this (open)condensate wasting valve? Am I missing something? Sounds dangerous.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    If

you set up whatever opening you are going to use so that the opening is at or slightly above the boiler's operating water level, the system (which is kinda dumb this way) will see a normal water level in the returns and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you do get steam out doing that, you have a different problem!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    Options
    I don't follow...

I'm having a hard time picturing this. If the valve opening (for "wasting" condensate after installation) was on the drip and above the water line and not on the return below the water line, it seems that only steam could come out- the condesate would continue down the drip.

In Dan's video on near boiler piping (http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/107/Steam-Heating/118/Steam-boiler-near-boiler-piping) this wasting port in on the return just before tying into the hartford loop. This is essentially what I have.  I'm sure this isn't a "scale" drawing, but it sounds like a different approach. Jamie, does this make sense?

Thanks,

Patrick
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    I copied the video also

The pressurised backflush is pretty straight forward.  Close the Hartford valve and the system valve (s), Make some steam and watch the gauge.  For me, 2 or 3 psi was enough.  Then drain some sediment from the boiler.  I blew out all kinds of crap.  Most memorable was the handfull of 100 year old pipe threads.

I have not attempted to steam clean the returns as of yet.  Like you, I would assume this needs to be done safely.  I am not sure what is a safe way to do it.
This discussion has been closed.