Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube SME series

Options
Kestrel
Kestrel Member Posts: 102
Hello again.

I'm getting closer to my boiler/indirect install - last I posted I was working on the heat loss, with great help from Mr. White.

I've settled on the TT110 Solo, though it's a bit on the larger side relative to my design heat load (about 60K BTUH), and I was considering a buffer tank, like a Boiler Buddy 30, along with an indirect - likely a TT Smart 60.

The wrinkle - we'd like to put solar hot water in at a later date - and so I've been looking at duel coil indirects.  I've come across TT's SME series, which looks perfect for my application - the SME 80 has 70gal of DHW, as well as 30gal on the primary side to act as buffer/hydraulic separation.  It also has an additional coil for another heat source like solar.

Anyone have any experience with the SME tanks? 

Any issues anyone's noting with the plan?  (heat system is to be radiators on second floor and basement, each with its own TRV, main floor joist space radiant with 3/8 tubing in JoistTrak - whole heat side pumped by single Grundfos alpha.  Boiler firing controlled by aquastat in tank and outdoor reset, as well as main floor T-stat and floor probe)

Any anticipated problems when combining DHW and hydraulic sep/buffer in a single appliance?

Thanks!

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Buffer Tank

I'm not sure about the solar portion of your system but you might look at a reverse indirect (Turbomax or similar). It would provide you with your thermal mass for your buffer tank as well as giving you unlimited on demand domestic hot water. Just a thought.

Rob
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Solar

How many solar panels are you planning? Depending on your locale, the type of panel and system design, you may be looking at 50 gal. pr. panel buffer capacity. There are a lot of variables, but that gives your a rough figure to consider.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Kestrel
    Kestrel Member Posts: 102
    Options
    hmm, solar as buffer, verrry interesting

That's interesting - I hadn't thought about the solar circuit as a buffer mass.  However, the solar is 'planned' and subject to future budget and priorities, and I need to avoid short cycling with the installation that is much more immediate.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Clarification

I was referring to the amount of buffer tank that solar would require, not provide: 50 gal. pr. panel. Hence, if you had six panels, you would need a 300 gal. buffer tank(s).
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.