Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tale Tale

Options
I am in the process of helping the local Habitat for Humanity troubleshoot a 15 ton AC unit that serves their offices.

There is a primary latching relay that is controlled by numeorus devices that are wired in series. Once ANY of these devices drops out (low pressure, hi pressure, low oil pressure) ALL ciruits are open, so attempting to trouble shoot the errant device by leap frogging with a DMM is virtually useless. I remember Duncan WIlson talking about a device called a Tattle Tale detector that can be wired in parallel to the safety device, and if it opens first, the device would detect it and show it as the offending device/circuit.

Does anyone know where to find one of these devices, or what its real name is?

Thanks...

Never EVER thought I'd find myself working on a forced error system,and if it weren't for the nature of the organization and the fact that they were referred to me by a local state agency that I do other work for, I probably wouldn't have gotten involved.

TIA

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    FOUND IT!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WAGNER-TT-460-TATTLE-TALE-SAFETY-CONTROL-MONITOR-42502-/200559616426

Thanks Al Gore. Without you and the internet, I'd be lost and flailing. Now, I'm just flailing :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tom Blackwell_2
    Tom Blackwell_2 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Flash bulbs

Another trick is to use an old fashioned flash bulb-remember those? I used to keep a supply with wire leads soldered on for those systems where the culprit is elusive, such as older Carrier chillers.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    tattle tales

They do there job but being like you said you have so many safetys in series you will find it still going to take some chasing on your part.

I truly hate an intermitted problem.Just a suggestion i would looked closely at the lockout relay,time delay and even the coil freezing up over time dropping your sst and locking it out on low pressure switch.

I just installed a 15 ton york condenser today and could not get power to the two stage compressor contractor.Bad board go figure.

Anyways welcome teacher we would be glad to have you on board.lets us know what you find and if we can help.

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Sounds Like...

Your working on a Lennox. I feel your pain. That latch relay definitely was not one of Dave's ideas that deserved an "Atta boy, Dave".

We have the Tattle Tales available at a couple of local supply houses. I would hope that one in your neck of the woods has them.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Tattle Tales

The TT is supposed to be put onto each safety.So, four safetys means four TT's. They do work!
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Thanks everyone...

This is new territory for me. I understand the logic, and have a good, no make that GREAT refrigerant mechanic, and we found the O&M manuals.

First thing I found was that the 2 stage capacity had been disconnected. Who knows why...

Reconnected and no trips (yet) to date.

The system needs replaced, but this is a cash poor organization (Habitat for Humanity main offices).

I'm looking into some newer low tech, ultra high efficiency evaporative cooling for the building called Coolerado.

ME
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Luxaire...

Now owned by Johnson Controls, and less than responsive to request for archived information...

Guess they are only interested in NEW equipment sales.

ME
This discussion has been closed.