Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

smallest steam unit ever?

Options
STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
I saw this little steamer in a jewelry shop in Carmel, Cali....the owner didnt speak english and couldnt understand why I would take a pic of it
steve

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Steamist

That's a Steamist unit and jewelers use them to clean their settings.  I am the Steamist service rep. for the Bay Area, but have only have one jeweler in SF that has ever called me with a problem; I'm sure there are more. 

Most of the units I service are made for steam rooms; commercial and residential.  All are 220 volts, some are 3-phase.  The guy that did this before me was electrocuted and died, so I am very careful.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Electrocution:

Alan,

If you don't own a device called (variously) a "Tick Tracer" that will warn you of the presence of live electricity, get one. I have two. Both of mine are Greenlee's. Even after I turn off the power to something, I still check it for voltage. It doesn't show an amount of voltage or current, just that it alarms in the presence of voltage in any amount. Depending on the sensitivity of the unit. The past service guy didn't use his.

You only have one life to give and live. Live it wisely. 
    Options
    Tick Tracer

I rely on my Tick Tracer all the time; it's made by Fluke.  I was also considering lineman's gloves to prevent being electrocuted, but I imagined them too clumsy.

And whenever possible, I try to have someone with me to make sure I don't get so involved in what I'm doing that I forget if the power is on or off.

The last boiler room I was in (a commercial gym) didn't have a light.  Many steam units are in basements, attics or cabinets without enough access to service them safely.  Sometimes I have to tell the owners that I can't service their steam unit until I have proper access.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    hey alan or ice

any idea how old this is?
    steve
    Options
    I'd guess

not more than 5 years old.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Illumination:

I also always carry a large selection of illuminating devices from quartz lights to fluorescent  trouble lights. Along with extension cords. Some with 4X4 4 outlet gang plugs for the tools and the lights.

If the owners can't provide adequate lighting and power outlets, they may find me harder to get another time. Or my charge may reflect the difficulty.

They may not love me but my wife at home still does.
This discussion has been closed.