Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Remote reading gas meter

Options
Roland_18
Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
Hi All,

I am never home when the gas meter reader comes around. I always find the slightly accusatory note stuck to my door telling me I have to set up an appointment or call in or go online to report my reading. I have had zero luck using the online service. When I try to use the phone-in service, it seems that the representative is programmed to say that the readings I'm giving them are IMPOSSIBLE, and I must make an appointment for a live reading. I know how to read a gas meter, it's one of the first things I learned in high school.

I'm sick do death of wasting a day for a reader to show up "sometime between 8am and 6pm". When I asked the reader why the Gas company doesen't have a remote reading meter like the water company, the reply is "it costs too much to refit the existing meters".

Why is this? How could it be so expensive to re-fit existing gas meters? Water meters have been remotely read for YEARS. Electric usage meters are almost exclusively outside the structure of the house so no-one needs to come in for a reading.

What gives?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    AMR Automatic Meter reading is

not available everywhere yet. It is slowly catching on across the country for use on gas. It is a device attached to the index on your meter and is part of a complete network.

A suggestion from an old gas man (I worked for a utility for 28 years) have them move your meter outside. They may charge for this to be done or you could reason with them concerning the inability to get in to read your meter. The gas company has to make ways for you to call in readings or mail in your reading and in some cases you can send by Internet. If you are having confusion contact your local department of public utilities and let them know about your problem.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    meter reading

why not just take a picture of the meter and send it in.
This discussion has been closed.