Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham vs Weil-mclain

AutoMech
AutoMech Member Posts: 1
<span style="font-size:12pt">Burnham or Weil-Mclain Opinion</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Hi, I read a lot of the posts here, and I am replacing my oil boiler for gas. I have cast iron BB with 1”1/4 mono-flow. From what I read I like the Burn. SCG-4 or the RV-4. The Rv has a built in circ. Pmp .  does that mean that a bypass has to be made for the SCG-4 ??</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">The Weil-Mclain’s  CGS-4 vs GV-4 same difference. Also these only have 1” supply & returns, less gals of water & less weight of the unit. (looking @ price per Lb. haha)</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Does the supply size matter??</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">For the $$$ which is better??</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Thanks</span>

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,128
    It's been said before...

but they're both good boilers.  What you are really buying, though, is the installer and servicer -- so pay real attention to the guys you buy from (just as I'm sure the folks whose cars you service pay attention to who's spinning the wrenches!)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Personably

I prefer burn-ham because of the push nipples rather than the gaskets, but this is an ongoing debate. there are good argument's for both

Installation is vital.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    which boiler...here we go again

Weil McLain any day of the week and twice Sunday, anyday, all day. Have installed hundreds with "gaskets" and lots of GVs and NEVER any issues with them....great boiler.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    new boiler?

have you looked at a condensing gas boiler like Triangle Tube Prestige Solo or Prestige Excellence, Burnham Alpine or Freedom or Weil Mclain Ultra? Could use a burnham ES2 cast iron boiler 85% AFUE chimney vented but you must us a chimney liner with this boiler. I would go with a condensing Triangle Tube boiler if it will work with your system. If only one heating zone you might be able to install the Prestige boiler without primary secondary piping. Good luck make sure you choose the right heating professional you boiler will only work at its greatest efficiency if it is installed correctly.
This discussion has been closed.