Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving a radiator in two pipe system

Options
JoeChan
JoeChan Member Posts: 15
We are planning to renovate the kitchen and first floor bathroom. One of the options brought up by the architect is to move the radiator in the bathroom to a different location (90deg, 3ft away). We have an unusual two pipe system with a Hoffman differential loop and runs on only at 6oz of pressure. I'm deadly afraid of changing it, partly because it is two pipes, and partly because moving it will shorten the run of the pipes by quite a lot, and it is near a fairly complicated portion of the piping (there is a three way split just upstream, so potentially affecting the two radiators upstairs). Are my fears unfounded? I've been having a great deal of trouble finding a capable heating guy in Boston with enough experience to deal with this type of system.

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem to move it.

The Hoffman Data Book is in Dan's library section on this site so you can do more homework on your system..keep looking for a steam guy..i'm sure there are tons of them in Boston..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Your's is not a complex system

In fact it is too simple which is where I think people have issues.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    moving radiator

yes it can be done is there any way to get to the pipes from down below
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Duck soup

Charles is right -- the Hoffman system is really simple.

Hopefully you can find a steam guy.  If not, hopefully you can find a plumber who can actually work with threaded pipe.  Figure out where you want the radiator to be.  Figure out the collection of elbows and mipples and pipe to go from where you want to hook up to the existing supply and return lines.  Drill any necessary holes.  Assemble.  That's it.  The only thing to watch is to make absolutely sure that both the new supply and the new return are pitched to drain back to the steam main and the return, respectively.

You will probably find that there are no convenient unions to undo the existing piping, except for the unions on the radiator fittings themselves.  This is not cause for alarm; just be gentle (or as gentle as you can be!).

Or get in touch with Charles.  He's a nice guy and might do it for you!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JoeChan
    JoeChan Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice

I'll get back to the architect and see how it all works into the plans!
This discussion has been closed.