Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless vs. WM for steam?

JProbber
JProbber Member Posts: 25
I'm in the process of getting a damaged WM 478 replaced. For various reasons, I'm considering switching to an equivalent Peerless. One of the salesmen who I have quoting the job says he prefers Peerless to WM for steam, because of the way the sections are joined; metal nipples vs. seals (?)

Should this be a consideration?

I'd like to thank Mr. Holohan and the many knowledgeable contributors here. You've made it possible for me to proceed with this complex task (re-doing a steam heat system in an 8,000 sq ft drafty tudor) and not feel completely helpless. I hope you won't mind me coming back for some more advice as things progress.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    replacing a boiler

we have a peerless 211a 1,050,000 btu for approximately your size house, and it uses the rubber gaskets. i had misgivings, but so far so good.

more importantly it is how the boiler is installed rather than what make it is. following the mfg's installation instructions should give you good dry steam.

put plenty of venting on [1 have 17 gorton #2's], and a vaporstat so that the air in my system escapes with a low back-pressure [2 ounces!].--nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Nicholas is right --

but I will emphasize it: you are buying an installer.  Both Peerless and Weil-McClain are good boilers (my system is Weil-McClain, not as large but pretty good sized nonetheless) but neither one is worth the powder to blow it up if the installer doesn't do the job right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JProbber
    Thanks....

I'm in the process of evaluating my options. I take your point...I'm trying not to get too bogged down in the technical minutiae versus picking a company I have faith in.
  • JProbber
    Thanks

I'll nail whatever company I choose down about the venting. Your boiler looks bigger than my current unit...rated about 400,000 BTU's.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Jamie your boiler is

actually a section larger than Jprobber's. The 80 series is the newest generation of from WM that replaced the 78 series.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I can't add...

So it is, Charles.  580 vs. 478... about the same size house, too, come to think of it.

But the point is installation, installation, installation!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I was giving you the benefit of the doubt

I figured you saw 8,000 square feet and thought radiation not floor space.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.