Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

quick but important question

Maestro232
Maestro232 Member Posts: 69
Hello...something seems amiss after a boiler guy came into my house to scope what he needs to re-pipe my system (since he did it wrong).  I'm pretty sure he cranked a thermostat on my system but you guys would know for sure.  It's a tankless coil in an oil fired steam boiler and domestic water comes from a storage tank through the coil and heats up, then goes back to the tank.  I'm almost sure I was told the boiler should maintain a water temperature about 20 degrees higher than I have the hot water set.  Well, I had the hot water set at 115 degrees, and I thought the thermostat off the tankless coil was set to around 135 degrees.  Well, after this guy showed up I noticed the water was scalding in the house all the sudden.  I checked the boiler thermostat and it was set to 175.  Am I crazy, or is that way too high a temperature for the boiler to maintain?

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Water to hot!

It sounds like you may need a mixing valve?
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Maestro232
    I don't understand...

I don't understand.  What I'm wondering is if I'm losing my memory or not.  I thought the thermostat for the boiler was set to maintain about 135 degrees because I have my hot water set to about 115.  I'm wondering if that ratio is correct because it is set to 175 not 135, and I recall that it should only be about 20 degrees higher.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    as Alan said, but

If I understand your post, you have an aquabank? The thermostat on the tank is what will control your water temp for domestic . When you are making steam for heat, it is hotter than 175. The temp that you should maintain should be at least 20 degrees warmer than your desired storage temp, and I think that is what you are talking about.
  • Maestro232
    That's it exactly...

Yes, you've got it exactly.  It's an aqua bank.  Ok, so I am remembering correctly.  I had reason to believe the boiler guy might have done this maliciously, but I just couldn't remember for sure that it was supposed to be around 20 degrees higher.
  • billtwocase
    If your

domestic hot water temp has changed, then he may have turned the thermostat up for that to test something? 
  • billtwocase
    just curious

as to what he is re-piping, what he did wrong, and is it a heat or hot water issue that has him doing what he should have done right the first time?
  • billtwocase
    oh ok

Now I remember. VERY long thread. Good luck to you on that
  • haventseenenough
    haventseenenough Member Posts: 61
    haventseenenough

r u still beating this horse?
This discussion has been closed.