Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pumping Away with the Prestige Solo 110

Options
Helder
Helder Member Posts: 1
Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble visualizing the "pumping away" setup with the Prestige Solo 110. As you may know, it comes with the Grundfos pump and unless I plumb the feed line/expansion tank to the return side, how can it get done? I guess you can pump through the heat exchanger.

This system is going to use only the on-board circulator for heat and will have another circulator for DHW.

I'd love to get thoughts from all familiar with the Solo boilers.

Thanks!

edit: added info on circulators

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    More Info is Needed

We would need to know about the size and length of the piping to your heating zones as well as the type of emitters you have. The on-board circ is sized to match the gpm and head of the boiler (10 gpm @ 10ft head). It is probably not sufficient to also carry your heating loop(s). This why the boiler should be piped in some form of primary/secondary fashion. In that scenario, the expansion tank would be in the primary loop, not the boiler loop, and the boiler circ would not be effected by its placement. See the attached application manual.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Return

Exp tank and feed would go on the return. You need to calculate the required system head and included the boiler head to make sure the 15-58 can do the job. Was just on a job today where boiler kept going off on intermintent lockouts due to high limit just for this reason. While the manual shows a diagram it also states all over the place that pri/sec is recommended...Personally would use a low loss header rather then pri/sec.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    Pumping Away

just as Mr. Holohan. suggests.
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    Options
    pumping away

Viessman wants you to pump into their mod cons.

With all respect to Dan and Gill if we get the expansion tank in the right place and we use a good quality air illuminator (spiro vent, etc.) does this real mater very much?
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    What Matters

is the location of the circulator.
This discussion has been closed.