Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My heat is off

Bebes
Bebes Member Posts: 61
I suppose this might end up being a dumb question, but does anyone know any reason why I shouldn't go out and turn my gas back on. I've been waiting for PSEG for well over 24 hours, and they have yet to arrive to turn my gas back on. I cut a piece of 1 1/4 copper pipe and put a notch thru the middle, which I think will fit right over the lever. If I do this, is there anything I need to be mindful of?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Not recommended...

not knowing, of course, why the gas got turned off in the first place.

However, when gas is turned back on, there are definite precautions to be followed to ensure that there are no leaks, that all pilots are up and running properly, that appliance safety mechanisms all work as they are supposed to -- and in my judgement it's better left to the pros.  Unless, of course, you happen to be one.

The idea being to avoid blowing either yourself or your neighbours up -- gas explosions tend to be quite dramatic.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    why?

Why was it turned off? Anytime you interrupt service code require's a pressure test be performed. Any time a system lose's pressure it increase's the chance of a leak. Safer to have a test done by a trained tech.
  • Bebes
    It was turned off

for non-payment...everything was working fine before that and I made the payment yesterday. I've had to relight my boiler and water heater before, so I know how that goes. I've watched them when they relight the pilots on the stove....they wait a little with the jets on, so the air can get out of the line....I think.
  • Bebes
    It was turned off

for non payment, which I've taken care of. I've haven't seen them do a pressure test when this happened last year, and when they cut our lines to redo our street. Maybe I missed that part?
  • Bebes
    So

I figure if they're not here by midnight, I'm gonna do this. I feel certain there will be air in the line. Do I just turn on the pilots until I smell the first sign of gas, and then light per the instructions, on the boiler and the hot water heater?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited April 2011
    do yourself

Do yourself a favor and wait for the pro. If you allow to much gas in before ignition you could start a fire or worse. Have you tried calling them again?
  • Bebes
    Yup,

I called a few times...ah, I'm actually on hold to talk to a supervisor..... Well, that was satisfying....got to tell them about a few glitches in their system that I thought could be addressed, and she really listened to me....on a recorded line. One part of their system could see the order, but the dispatcher could not, or something like that. Anyway, I feel pretty confident they'll be here tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the comments.

Over an out
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Heat/Gas is off:

Do what you wish. You may be getting yourself into a serious legal area.

I bought a house with gas heat. The records were supposed to have been transferred to me from the previous owner by "someone" other than myself. A few days later, after we moved in, the gas was shut off. Not for non-payment but because the old owner notified the gas company that they were no longer responsible for the bill. They had no record of me. I was a new customer. The gas was not shut off at the meter. It had been shut off at the street. So miscreants that hadn't payed their bills couldn't go out and turn on the gas without proper authorization. Most gas (if not all) gas providers take a very dim view of customers touching their property. They own the meter. You don't own it. That's why YOU have a gas valve inside the building. For YOU. They have valves for THEM. If they choose to turn it off at the meter and not in the street, that is their choice. If they turn it off in the street, you won't have the tools to turn it back on. Let alone find the shut-off unless you see where they dug. And it isn't in the middle of the street.

If you choose to turn this gas on without their permission (and you won't get it), you may suffer serious blow back.

Do as you wish.
  • haventseenenough
    haventseenenough Member Posts: 61
    haventseenenough

It is illegal for you to turn on gas to your house. PSE&G owns that gas stop,and anything before the meter. Besides the fact that if a shut in test is not done and you blow up your house you are solely responsible. Don't do it, you put yourself in the situation you are in. Please wait for them.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Not only that but,

Not only that but, if something happens in the street like Dig-Safe mis-marks a gas line (never happens), and an excavator rips up a gas line( never happens often), the gas company will shut off that section of the main. Before turning it back on, they are required to shut off EVERY building service connected to that main before turning the gas main back on and physically enter every build ing to light pilots or whatever, at their expense. If something happens and they didn't follow this procedure, it's their (and their insurance company's) dime.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Have we made our point yet?

Don't freakin' do it.

1.  It's illegal

2.  It's dangerous

3.  If you don't care about 2. in relation to yourself and your family, have a care for your neighbours.  The house you blow up might not be your own.

To reiterate.  Don't Do It.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.