Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Locating humidifier that is not a drum, not flow through, and is not steam.

Options
I have a problem.  I have a customer that does not want a flow through humidifier because of the wasted water. He does not want a steam humidifier because of the cost. And I don't want to put in a drum humidifier because of the possible germ growth. Anyone else run into the same problem.  I'd appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Sounds Like...

He doesn't want a humidifier!

Seriously though, Aprilaire does have a model that is flow through but re-circulates most of the water. It's been a couple of years since I installed one so I don't recall the model number. The new model replaced the old 445.

But to be perfectly honest, I'd use a flow through with a drain. The little amount of wasted water is well worth the prevention of legionellae, not to mention the other nasties that grow in stagnant water.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Humidifier

Other than a single room ultrasonic portable, I think he's out of luck.  I don't recommend those anyway because of white dust, risk of contamination and possibly soaking the surrounding area.  A properly sized flow-thru unit doesn't waste ecxessive water, Ironman is right, put it down a drain.  I also don't recommend the disc, brush or other units with standing water in them...they can cause all sorts of problems if not very carefully maintained.  Steam units use even less water, only flushing themselves during the clean cycle, which you can control.  Good luck with this one.
This discussion has been closed.