Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trane electronic air cleaner help please

Options
Dave_134
Dave_134 Member Posts: 5
Hi,

I have two 1993 vintage Trane BEF140,200c air cleaners, power supplies dies.

I pulled them and changed the bridge rectifier and  found a transistor bad on each one, (each has 2), I combined the good ones, still no good.

Power supplies are obsolete or I woudl buy them.

I was hoping to find a universal power supply i could retrofit to may units and eleminate all the duct work hassle.

Any experience with this?

Thank you.

Comments

• sasman
    sasman Member Posts: 32
    Options
    EAC

pull those pieces of junk out and install cartridge filter of appropriate size
  • Dave_134
    Options
    more info on your opinion

Hi, I considered this,

I take it u do not like these. Are they less effective than the are sold to be? new ones any better? how much experience have u had with these?

If I do a 16 x 25 x 4 or 5 filter, what merve would be ok, yet not create excess back pressure?

Thanks
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    You will have less resistance

with a standard filter than with an EAC. Do you have anyone in the house with breathing issues? If not the standard filters are fine just check/change them every month during the heating season.

If you must replace the EAC do so I am just not a big fan of EAC's.
  • Dave_134
    Options
    good stuff!

Hi, no real medical reasons, I noticed a while ago both units were dead, I assume did late last year and I never noticed, so the only filtration I have had was the 1/4" metal mesh filters.

We noticed the house was dusty, or at least seemed so, that's when i found the two dead players on the  EAC.

Now I dread the ductwork dis assembly to retrofit new ones so i was going down the repair route.  This is why the thick filter plan seemed like a good option I was considering.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.