Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Trane electronic air cleaner help please

Dave_134Dave_134 Posts: 4Member
Hi,

I have two 1993 vintage Trane BEF140,200c air cleaners, power supplies dies.

I pulled them and changed the bridge rectifier and  found a transistor bad on each one, (each has 2), I combined the good ones, still no good.

Power supplies are obsolete or I woudl buy them.

I was hoping to find a universal power supply i could retrofit to may units and eleminate all the duct work hassle.

Any experience with this?

Thank you.

Comments

• sasmansasman Posts: 29Member
    EAC

pull those pieces of junk out and install cartridge filter of appropriate size
  • Dave_134Dave_134 Posts: 4Member
    more info on your opinion

Hi, I considered this,

I take it u do not like these. Are they less effective than the are sold to be? new ones any better? how much experience have u had with these?

If I do a 16 x 25 x 4 or 5 filter, what merve would be ok, yet not create excess back pressure?

Thanks
  • Tim McElwainTim McElwain Posts: 4,281Member
    You will have less resistance

with a standard filter than with an EAC. Do you have anyone in the house with breathing issues? If not the standard filters are fine just check/change them every month during the heating season.

If you must replace the EAC do so I am just not a big fan of EAC's.
  • Dave_134Dave_134 Posts: 4Member
    good stuff!

Hi, no real medical reasons, I noticed a while ago both units were dead, I assume did late last year and I never noticed, so the only filtration I have had was the 1/4" metal mesh filters.

We noticed the house was dusty, or at least seemed so, that's when i found the two dead players on the  EAC.

Now I dread the ductwork dis assembly to retrofit new ones so i was going down the repair route.  This is why the thick filter plan seemed like a good option I was considering.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!