Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Backup Gas Valve

Long Beach Ed
Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,241
I have a customer who doesn't trust the newer Mexican gas control valve in a boiler we are installing. He would like a second, redundant one installed.

Any thoughts on a second valve and thermocouple in line with the first?    Any problem with this? 

Thanks for your ideas.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    why?

If you put it in line with the other, if one fail's the system is off...Sell it to him, leave it in a box and if it fail's he has one on site..
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,241
    Valve Fails On

His fear is that the valve will fail open causing an explosion in his home.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Backup...

I have a backup pressure relief valve for my boiler, because when the existing one fails, by Murphy's law, it will be New Years Eve and even if I could get my contractor to come to fix it, he would not have one the right size, and the distributers would be closed. For historical reasons, I have two used working Taco 007s, so I probably do not need any more of those. That's really about all that is in the box. If the heat exchanger quits, it would not be too hard to replace it, but paying for it is probably another story. I hope I do not regret not purchasing a new burner, gas valve, expansion tank, and control board for my Ultra-3.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    honestly...

I personally think he's wasting his money..but it's his money. Just need to remember you drop 1" (lp) pressure through each gas valve so you manifold pressure will only be 9" unless your raise the first one higher than design. Then again it could probably be said your redesigning the system and not sure what that would open for problems...legal or otherwise....

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Redesign

You can't redesign or modify a gas appliance because of someone's phobia. If he's that paranoid, maybe he should install an electric boiler. But the chances of that catching on fire from a faulty connection are far greater than a redundant gas valve sticking open.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.