Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler experts -removing plug from boiler block

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
BEST Option to remove 1 1/4 " black plug from  8 year old burnham steam boiler .  below water line. may have been factory installed . 1- heat with torch & unscrew.  2- cut off hex, drill out & cut out w/ sawzall.     what say the expert boiler men.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    Buy a new boiler

Old plugs never seem to go out with out a fight. careful with the heat as you do not want to crack the boiler section. I use PB Blaster on rusted bolts and fittings. Some folks like Kroil. I have not tried it yet. Large wrench set tight on the plug with a cheater does wonder. Make sure the boiler does not flip with the force. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bob young
    PLUG

THANKS CHARLIE, I installed the boiler about eight years ago . hope i can unscrew it , tight spot.   bob nyc
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy Member Posts: 52
    impact gun

if the plug has a recessed head, I have used an impact gun and 3/4" drive extension with sucess.  good luck
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    I Would Agree with Charlie

And add that firmly tapping the upper portion of the wrench's handle with a 5lb. maul while pulling on the wrench gives a impact wrench effect. You may want to disconnect the pressure stat and any other sensitive devices first. Obviously, this technique requires two men. Use with caution.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Oak Park Electric
    Oak Park Electric Member Posts: 54
    Boiler, unplugged

Even if it's not a recessed head plug, but the standard type with the square boss, you can still use an impact wrench.  Measure the head, and get an 8 - point impact socket.  It will cost a few bucks, but they are intend just for square things.  Make sure it's really an impact socket, though ( black, not chrome) or you could shatter it. And yes, remove any vibration sensitive things from the boiler beforehand.

Good luck
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    removing the immovable plug

wasn't there a procedure involving melting paraffin onto the plug before removal?

has that now fallen out of favor, or did it not work?--nbc 
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Removal

Heat up the plug and stick a candle in it and watch the wax get sucked in, as that's happening have another guy unscrew the plug, had a lot of luck with this method, w/plugs/bolts/etc. if you dont have a candle use a wax ring
  • Fire and Ice

I spray it with WD-40 for a couple of days if I can, then heat with a torch, then for about half a minute of so, put ice cubes on the plug, tap with a hammer and hurry up with the wrenches it will usually be significantly looser, but only for a short while. If that doesn't work a sawzall and chisel will do the trick. Utica told me that the thread sealer they use is loosened by heat so you have to heat up plugs even on new boilers.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • bob young
    removing plug

thanks for the imput , gents.   impac gun sounds interesting. always looking for different innovations. i know auto guys have been using them forever.  and the wax method.  sounds promising.  looking for the path of least effort since its a less than marginal job. thanks again .  bob nyc
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    As Charlie said

PB Blaster is some awesome stuff. Hit it a couple of days ahead of time, and run it up the flag pole to see who salutes
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    All.....

All great ideas listed above, I even learned some new tricks! I have used the impact trick along with heat. I love Kroil, great stuff!
  • bob young
    IMPACT WRENCH

What brand impack wrench would be suitable for this application .  also electric or air    thanks all bob nyc
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    I.....

I have an electric one on the truck at all times, most of the time it does the trick. But we have an air one at the shop for servicing the big trucks, when all else fails we use that one. 
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy Member Posts: 52
    impact

i used a snap-on cordless 18 volt 1/2" drive impact gun...big bucks but we also use it for racing...id say any 1/2" impact gun would work..good luck
  • Get things moving

Always try to tighten the fitting a little then loosen it. If heat is needed, gently heat the plug and the surrounding area evenly, then with a wet rag filled with some ice cool just the plug, tighten it just till it moves and breaks the rust then loosen it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Plastic explosives placed at the base of all support columns.

Make certain your homeowners insurance is paid up. Just kidding. Trying to one upsmanship Charlie's recommendation. :-)

Fast acting snap torque works well for me, but you have to make sure you have a good bite on the fitting, and that boiler is well supported, or you MAY be replacing the boiler. And that is difficult to do with a square headed plug, so if all else fails, drill it, punch it, and cut a pie shaped piece out of it, avoiding contact with the actual threads, and collapse the plug, trying to keep the pieces from falling into the boiler.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.