Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can Steam Gas Pipes be raised higher into ceiling? (see photos)

Can Steam Gas Pipes be raised higher into ceiling? (see photos)These 2 steam gas pipes attached to the gas heater need to be raised so the basement can be finished with drywall in the celing.

The asbestos coated white pipe gets "warm" but the other silver pipe does not.

Can they be moved by a professional considering "condensation" flow is important with Gas/Steam Pipes in a basement.

I have "Radiators" in each room that the heat/steam gets sent to.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    edited March 2011
    Maybe

but it's going to be a heck of a job.  The asbestos coated white pipe is, most likely, the steam main.  It is, of course, feasible to route a steam main so that it goes up and then down, or down and then up, or some combination... but.  If that is done, first, the size must be maintained -- do not reduce and expand.  Second, every low point -- every single last one -- must be dripped to a return which can flow by gravity, without any loops or traps (the plumbing variety, not the heating variety!), back to the boiler.  No exceptions.

The return -- the silver pipe -- is what is called a dry return, and is subject to exactly the same rules.  If a low point or points is created, it -- or every single last one -- must be dripped to a return which can flow by gravity.  Further, the dry return must be kept in the same vertical relationship to the steam main that it has now -- that is, slightly lower.

Bottom line: you will probably need to install a wet return at floor level, if there isn't one already, unless you get really lucky and can raise both lines -- maintaining the elevation difference between them and their existing slopes -- above that beam I see.  And I have my doubts that that is possible...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    raising the pipe

if you have a copy of "the lost art of steam heating", available from the shop here, it would be easier for you to follow the advice.

is that the only steam main? how many radiators are fed from it. if you can post a diagram of the layout, then we can help.

the point jaimie is making, is that the condensate return may be more easily rerouted along the floor back to the boiler. the main is a bit more challenging to move without disturbing the drainage from each radiator.--nbc
  • theprofessionalnyc
    theprofessionalnyc Member Posts: 7
    Here is a photo of my heater - Is this a Steam or Water heater system?

Here is a photo of my heater - Is this a Steam or Water heater system?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    They can be raised and it is steam.

Whether you will like the cost is another matter. If done by a person of little experience It will really make a mess.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.