Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

limestone substitute

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
I have a customer who had a wall hung condensing boiler put in with no neutralizer and no condensation pump. I am trying to build a neutralizer from PVC and limestone . No one in my area has limestone in stock. What would be a good substitute for limestone(marble chips etc), I have very little to experience with these things.

P.S. This in not related to my post from a few weeks ago about my ionizing machine. I am still waiting to hear back from company.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Home made

This has worked out pretty well using marble chips
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Neutralizers:

My wholesaler, Plumbers' Supply, has one complete unit, filled with limestone rocks sitting on the counter to be used in Vitodens, Lochinvars or Ultras. Seems like it would be less labor cost intensive to buy one of these and not deal with designing something on the shelf. And tracking down marble chips.

If you're interested in such a thing, let me know. I'll get the info on it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Around my area, at least

most big box home stores carry marble chips for landscaping.  They'd probably work.  Agricultural lime is too fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Limestone and Marble

are the same principal compositional material, mostly calcium carbonate. Marble is just more "mature" having gone through a metamorphic process. Marble just sounds better too.

You can pick up a bag of chips, coarse or fine, at HD or a garden store for $10 and it will last you for years.

As Jamie said, take a pass on the powdered lime. It will clog drains and make a runny mess of things.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • cattledog
    cattledog Member Posts: 60
    Options
    seashell and coral mix

Another alternative for neutralizers is the sea shell and coral base mix sold for aquariums at some pet stores and specialty stores which sell tropical fish and tanks. It's calcium carbonate in a relatively small size with a lot of surface area. It's often sold in bulk, by the pound, pretty inexpensively, and you don't have to deal with a 50 pound bag from the garden store.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    marble it is

Thanks for the info. For some reason the stores have the marble in stock and not the limestone
  • tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269
    Options
    pvc trap

Bob, i like that trap. I have been using a 1 1/2" drum trap but looks like I'll be changing that. Thx for the pic.

i but marble chips at Home despot for about 7 bucks. has lasted 2 years and only 1/2 gone.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    No contact time....

Robert, I have seen those horizontal units in place for a long time (think donut holes) and they are not as effective at neutralization as the standing vertical type. The fluid needs some contact time in order to be effective, plus the amount of condensate in actual contact with the rocks is minimal at best. I've actually seen cast iron drains showing signs of corrosion with that type of neutralizer.

I'll stick with the reverse drum trap style thank you :-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Brad White
    Options
    That is the beauty

of marketing!

"Marble" is evocative of Michaelangelo and Venus de Milo.

"Limestone" is evocative of cement plants.

As the old Executive Handbook said, "My company's product is an inter-fibrous friction fastener. My competitor's product? It's a nail."
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • GreggShadduck
    GreggShadduck Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Country boy? Oyster shells

Yes, Home Depot has marble for landscaping.

But if you happen to live in farm country, bags of crushed oyster shells are stocked at the farm store.  Cheap.  Again, calcium carbonate.
  • Brad White
    Options
    Uh, in farm country

those would be prairie oyster shells, pardner!

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.