Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing a section from the radiator

Options
We would like to remove a section of the radiator to better fit the space it will be used in.  Any tips on how these come apart?  Made by American Radiator.

Thanks!

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Removing Sections:

You can do it on modern radiators but that is not a modern radiators. I don't know of anyone who is a professional who would attempt that and guarantee results. You can try it if you like but I doubt that IF you get it apart, and IF you get it back together, it will be tight.

Good Luck to you or anyone trying to shorten it up. You'd be better off buying a radiator with the same EDR but smaller in width and higher in height.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    edited February 2011
    Options
    That is magnificent...

I agree with Icesailor, removing sections is an art especially on the older radiators. You might lose other sections in the process. Can be done, always some risk. That radiator is magnificent and seems just on the edge of needing a center foot section.

Good under-window radiator, that one.

A TRV, (thermostatic radiator valve), will serve to tame capacity if it is too much for the space.  For steam, I like the Macon "OPSK" model. I presume this is team from the category of question.

Understanding your motive is more of a "fit" issue, to save space, the TRV could be installed with small brass tubing to extend it to a clear area.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Radiator:

If that radiator is around 18" high, it is probably around 3 Sq Ft or 25 sections or 75 Sq Ft.
  • jimmythegreek
    jimmythegreek Member Posts: 56
    Options
    i have done it

I did a tall one, about 28" high that was about 10" wide.  Had 2 threaded rods up top and 1 down the middle at the bottom.  It was 11 sections and I made it to 7 sections.  I used mega lock on the sections and it dripped a few drops the first couple heating cycles then held tight.  I was able to use the threaded rod to really tighten up the rad sections.  This one in the pic looks to  have no threaded rod holding it together so I wouldnt even attempt to touch it.  And its really big too, def better off finding a relacement radiator IMO
  • dbeswe01
    dbeswe01 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Where to buy

Where can you purchase steam radiators?  I've looked to upgrade in the past but haven't had much luck locating them. 
This discussion has been closed.