Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CAST IRON BASEBOARD

Options
GOOD MORNING. I HAVE A 2 PIPE STEAM SYSTEM USING RADIATORS. I AM FREEZING IN 2 OF THE ROOMS IN MY HOUSE. I HAVE ACCESS TO SOME OLD CAST IRON BASEBOPARD. CAN YOU USE THAT PRODUCT FOR A 2 PIPE STEAM SYSTEM AND IS IT BETTER THAN RADIATORS.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    keep the radiators

the solution is to make the radiators all fill with steam at the same time, which is not happening now. most likely, there is a sagging pipe in the supply or return which is holding a pool of condensate, which resists the steam/air flow.

the air in the pipes needs to be allowed to escape, before the steam can arrive at the radiators. the baseboard would not be a cure for this slow steam. many times, this is caused by over-pressure. many old systems function best on 2 ounces of pressure, and if allowed to go higher, have balance problems, because the traps are unable to function under such high pressure.

rest assured that the radiators in your house all gave out adequate heat for each room, when first installed. the trick is to find out what has changed to make the system unbalanced. check your pressure with an accurate low-pressure gauge [gaugestore.com-0-3 psi], and examine all pipes for correct pitch with a level.--nbc
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Cold Rooms

Hi- The basic answer to your question "can you use them" is yes though I'm curious as to why you need them. Heat wise radiators usually are more efficient than baseboards. Aren't the radiators in those "problem" rooms working properly? If so it would be better to get them back on line rather than adding more radiation in the way of baseboard radiators. Tell us what problems you are having with those radiators and we will try to offer some suggestions as to what needs to be done to fix them.

- Rod
  • harper
    harper Member Posts: 9
    Options
    cast iron baseboard

THANKS ROD,

THE PROBLEM IS I DON'T THINK I HAVE ENOUGH RADIATORS SO IF I AM GOING TO ADD AND I CAN GET THE OLD CAST IRON BASEBOARD FOR BASICALLY FREE WHY NOT VERSUS ADDING RADIATORS. WHAT DO YOU THINK. ALSO, ONE OF THE RADIATORS IN THE ROOM DOES NOT HEAT UP COMPLETELY. IT ONLY HEATS ON THE TOP.
  • harper
    Options
    CAST IRON BASEBOARD

IF I READ THE GAUGE ON MY BOILER IT IS LESS THAN 1PSI. MAYBE THAT IS THE PROBLEM. BY THE WAY MOST OF MY RADIATORS WORK BUT A COUPLE DON'T IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE PRESSURE ISN'T HIGH ENOUGH TO GET THE STEAM TO THOSE RADIATORS?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Pressure...

no -- your pressure is fine as is.  You should never, ever go about 2 psi in a two pipe residential system, and 1 psi is just fine.  Pressure is not your problem.

The first question to ask yourself is -- do the existing radiators get hot all the way across after the system has run for, say, 15 to 20 minutes?  If they don't, that's the first thing to fix.  Something is either getting in the way of the steam getting to the radiators, or the air getting out of the radiators -- one or the other.

There are a number of possible problems -- I doubt that I'll hit them all but I'll give it a shot. 

First, are all the pipes pitched correctly?  The steam supplies should pitch back towards the steam main (by the way -- is the steam main hot in the vicinity of where the supply lines to these radiators come off?  If not, the problem is in the main).  Second, the return lines should all pitch towards the main returns in the basement.  Any sag or dip in either line can keep the steam from getting in or the air from getting out.  Check every length of pipe with a level -- not by eye.

Second, can the steam get into the radiators?  Sounds simple, but are the valves really open?  Are you sure?  Check and see if the supply line to the valve is hot or warm -- it should be.

Third, can the air get out of the radiators?  Depending on the system design, there are usually -- but not always -- traps on the outlets.  It is possible that those may have failed close.  Let us know what's one the outlets, and we may be able to help further.

Fourth, as noted above, is steam getting to the takeoffs in the main itself?  If not, find out why -- probably a sag somewhere.

Fourth, can the air get out of the return somewhere?  It has to -- find out where.

Only when you have those radiators heating all the way across can you begin to decide whether you need more radiation in those spaces.  Which, as Rod notes, is unlikely although possible.  How big are the radiators?  How big are the rooms -- and in particular, how much glass?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Bad Traps

Steam systems run better at low pressure. Raising the pressure is counter productive. Here's a link to writeup on this.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/11/Hot-Tech-Tips/263/The-Speed-of-Steam

Do you have traps on your radiators? It sounds like you have some bad traps. If so there are rebuild parts available for them.

Source for complete traps & parts:

State Supply

http://www.statesupply.com/steamTraps.jsp

Rebuild parts for Steam Traps (Thermostatic,  F&T)

Barnes & Jones

http://www.barnesandjones.com/

Tunstall

http://www.tunstall-inc.com/tunstallsteam.html
  • harper
    Options
    VENTS

There are no vents on the radiators. I am wondering how the air gets out. If I don't have the proper amount of radiator in a certain room should I use the baseboard or should I add a radiator.

Is there a market for some very nice cast iron baseboard and also a cast iron recessable radiator. I just picked these items up out of an old early 1900 building.
This discussion has been closed.