Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mahoning outdoor boiler system

ogdog72
ogdog72 Member Posts: 1
just purchased a mahoning outdoor multi fuel boiler. i am removing my indoor oil boiler ( thank you burnham for the lovely warranty on the jacket cracks) i am going to hook directly  into my existing 3 zone.....zone valve controlled manifold. i am thinking of adding a side arm exchanger on my electric domestic water heater or purchase a nurse tank for domestic water supply. which is best? should i replace zone valves with circ pumps? dont want to get too exotic. simplier is always better i say. a schematic of a good simple effective system would be appreciated...  thank you 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Not a Good Idea

The Mahoning is an un-pressurized vessel. Your hydronic system is pressurized - and for good reasons. You cannot hook the wood boiler directly to the system. Also, you should use oxygen barrier piping or you'll have more problems.

I know that the "hydronic experts" that sold you the stove will try to tell you otherwise, but you came here to get some sound advice from knowledgeable folks.

You'll need a heat exchanger installed between the wood stove and your system so that they are hydraulically isolated and your system can remain pressurized. On the system side, I'd leave everything else the same, assuming it's alright now.

A side arm is OK at the water heater, but you'll need a tempering valve on the outlet to prevent scalding - the tank will reach 180deg.

I would highly recommend keeping a boiler installed even if it's a basic one. Again, you may regret it down the road if you don't have one.

We do alot of wood boilers and have to deal with the things you're proposing all the time. I get to see and have to correct the results regularly. They're the things that the wood stove companies tell the home owner it's OK to do so they can sell them a stove cheaper than someone who does it right.

Do it right and you won't regret it later.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.