Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cracked steam boiler

Options
jim lockard
jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
Hi all look time no post. ? Just had a call from another contractor about a cracked steam boiler.  This contractor removed the one pipe steam rads on the 2nd floor of a house. That is all he said did just pull and cap the rads. That was 2 weeks ago now the customer says the boiler is cracked. This contractors question to me and mine to you is could this action in its self cause the boiler to crack. thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Can't see how

removing and capping radiators could crack a boiler, unless something didn't get capped and they lost a lot of steam and dry-fired the boiler.  And I can't see a homeowner missing that much steam coming out...  Um, come to think of it, maybe I can...

But the short answer is, no.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    thank you

Thank you Jamie. What I did not tell is there is a 3rd contractor now spouting off that by removing some of the volume in the system. (removing rads) it has caused the boiler to overfire and crack. 
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    No way

Removing half the radiation would not overfire the boiler. It would make it oversized for the load and it would reach the pressuretrol limit sooner, but the pressure would not go any higher than normal.

Even if the pressuretrol failed, the relief valve would vent excess pressure before any damage to the boiler occurred.

Are you sure the boiler wasn't cracked before and the customer is trying to use the situation to his advantage?
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Sounds More Like ...

The homeowner got the idea from another contractor who was giving a second opinion.
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    removed radiators can cause a boiler to crack!!!

If the removed radiators are large enough and can be dropped on the boiler from high enough !!!!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    radiator removal

we ran a 3 floor building 1-pipe system, without the top floor radiators for several years with no problems, other than over-sizing. in my opinion the boiler could not crack solely because radiators were removed.

it it certain that the boiler cracked [dry-firing, or adding cold water improperly while hot], or is there a hole from corrosion [too much makeup water]? if the makeup water feed is not piped into the return properly, there can be a problem. perhaps as well, if   all the water suddenly emptied out while steaming, there would be enough thermal shock to crack a section [no hartford loop?].--nbc
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    is it possible ...

that condensate somehow got held in the capped risers like a straw with a finger over one end, thus removing water volume from boiler coupled with a LWCO failure and no auto-feed? i'm just, as the pun would go, grasping at straws here...
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.