Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This or that

Options
Irv
Irv Member Posts: 95
Does the system determine what vaporstat to install

or can most residential one pipe run on ounces

of pressure?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Most residential

one pipes seem to be designed around a pound to a pound and a half cutout.  Since there is a 0 to 4 pound vapourstat, I'd use that one...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Irv
    Options
    I believe that

your referring to the L408J1017 vaporstat. I see the majority of the fellas using

the L408J1009 and getting away with heating their homes under one pound.

Patriot supply sells more of the 1009 vaporstats which are in ounces.

Obviously, I want to buy the one which will give me the lowest operatiing pressures I can achieve. How would you know without hooking up if you could effectively run your system under 1psi?

Thanks
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Low pressure gauge

Have you installed a low pressure gauge on your boiler? With the gauge you can monitor the actual operating pressures of your system and see what pressure it typically reaches during a heating cycle. If the system only gets up to a few ounces maximum, then you would probably be better off with the 16 oz model.

On the other hand, if the boiler is overfired, or you are getting up to a couple of pounds pressure on a long run, then the 4 PSI model may be more suited to your situation.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    What's your pressure?

Irv

Do you know what pressure your operating at? If not get a low pressure gauge and find out. A vaporstat is a high limit control, is doesn't determine what pressure you'll operate at only what pressure you will cut-out at and back in at. The size of you boiler and the size of pipes determines your operating pressure. Also inadequate main venting will cause the pressure to be higher than it should be. If the boiler is oversized, pressure will be high, more steam being generated that you can condense. I have a 10oz gauge on my boiler, I run at 0.2 oz . I have a pressuretrol on my boiler. My system cycles on the thermostat.
  • Irv
    Options
    Thanks

Guys. I will order a low pressure guage and let you know my results.
  • Irv
    edited February 2011
    Options
    guage

Just hooked up a low pressure 1-5psi guage.

Turned up the thermostat and observed a couple of on/off with the pressuretrol.

The system shuts off at .9/1 psi and turns back on  at .2

The pressuretrol is a Honeywell PA 404A set at approx .5/1

thought the pressures were much greater.

I would guess the Wika guages are accurate?
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    I have 3 Wika's

They all show the same pressure.  If you have any doubts about yours you could take it in somewhere and have it tested.  Or now that you know what pressures you are dealing with you could order another, possibly more accurate gauge, so you would have something to compare to.  I think you said that your pressuretrol shuts off at around 1psi.  16 ounces in a pound.  You could order a 0-20 ounce gauge so you have something to compare to.  When, and or if, you decide to go for the vaporstat, you would be ready for it.
This discussion has been closed.