Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas puff backs

kmc
kmc Member Posts: 2
Can gas fired furnaces with draft motors have puffbacks. Heat exchanger looks good no flame rollout and zero evidence of sooting anywhere. furnace tied in with natural draft hot water heater. flue pipe through center of house open and clean.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Yes there are many issues with

fan assisted equipment and natural draft equipment into the same flue. Even though the code allows it they are definitely a problem. It depends on how they are connected to the vent connector, is it single wall pipe or "B" vent? Are they vented into a double wall common vent or chimney? Which is closest to the common vent? Some pictures would help. Are they connected with Tees if so try using a wye connection instead. Give me some more to go on and I will be able to help you. The most drastic solution may be to separate them from the common vent connector and vent separately into the common vent.
  • kmc
    kmc Member Posts: 2
    gas puff backs

I installed eqipment nine years ago and have had no problems scince then until one month ago. no construction to residence and no apparent other changes to house
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    OKAY what is the

make of the furnace and model number?

I would check the inlet and outlet gas pressure on the gas valve. Make sure the power venter is getting up to speed. What is the TFI on the board used on the furnace? How is the burner ignited spark or HSI? What is the microamp reading of the flame rod if so equipped?
This discussion has been closed.