Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lennox High E Furnace - issues?

Options
Tremolux
Tremolux Member Posts: 28
After a great deal of searching and research, and numerous delays, we've decided that none of the "trick" solutions we've researched are really suitable for the 2 story brick house we're restoring. The original radiators, circa 1930, were removed due to cracking from repeated freezing, and we just can't take the risk of having old pipes go bad.

The "conventional" approach will be to put one furnace in the attic, for the 2nd floor, and another one in the basement to handle the 1st floor. Our contractor has recommended a pair of the 98% Lennox models with 2 stage heat and a variable speed motor.

Are there any issues with these units that we should know about? ( price is not our major concern )

Are there any significant differences between these and similar models from other manufacturers?

Is a variable speed fan and 2 stage heat the current "state of the art"?

Any other helpful suggested are welcome.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Go with the contactors suggestion

as you are installing a complete new system forced warm air insure adequate ducting is done on supply and return, New Modulating/Condensing furnaces with ECM motor technology and staging will work very well if set up correctly. Get some references from your contractor. Also did he do a heat loss on the house to come to the conclusion of what to install. Also find out if he will also be servicing the unit after it is installed.
  • RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Attic Area Heated??

Is your attic area heated? Theses are condensing furnaces and if it's below freezing the condensate line and pressure switch will freeze. I am fixing a furnace right now, in a new house (4 months old) that a so called reputable HVAC guy installed. He put it in a attic that is not heated and the condensate froze and it won't work like that. I could not believe someone did this. I use furnaces that are Fully Modulating, fan and gas valve, have never had any issues with mine. Not sure about Lennox? Older ones had issues with the heat exchangers cracking but part of that is they weren't sized right. Need to have a heat/load calculation done though.
    Rob
This discussion has been closed.