Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ceiling heater

Zig
Zig Member Posts: 4
I am looking to install a third zone on a hot water baseboard system in my mothers house in upstate N.Y., because on really cold days or when the wood stove has been on too long the spare bathroom freezes. I would like to add a heater in that loop for the basement. I installed a toe kick heater in my house yeas ago during a remodeling project. I was wondering if anyone makes a heater that works like a toe kick that would mount in the ceiling joists and blow hot air downward? So far the only ones I found are wall mounted or garage style heaters. She has a low ceiling so I would really like a flush mount!

Any information would be appreciated.

Zig   

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited February 2011
    Towel warmer

Since you are already running high temps with baseboard why not a towel warmer in the bathroom.

If the ceiling in the bath is adjacent to the attic, I would avoid a ceiling penetration at all costs.

It also sounds like there may be an issue with controls if the wood burner is satisfying the t stat keeping the heat from running, and letting the bath cool to much. May be the third zone should be on its own thermostat.

Your post is a little confusing. Is the bath in the basement, and you want to add something to the basement zone?  Or is the bath upstairs, and you want to add to the basement zone? Or are you adding another separate zone all together for the bath?

If you are adding to a zone that already supplies the bath then I don't think you would gain much if the wood burner is not allowing the zone to run. You need to do something to keep that zone running which involves a t-stat for the bath in question.

How is present system controlled? Two zones, and a thermostat for each zone? Pump for each zone? Or one pump, and zone valves?

Sorry for all the questions, but if there is all ready an emitter in the bath then simply throwing more in will not help if the system is not running. You need to think about how to control it. It may be as easy as making the present emitter its own zone through some piping, and control changes if that emitter was sized properly to begin with.
  • Zig
    9-8

There are two zones in the house. One is the living-diningroom, kitcchen, main bath (all on the main floor) & the spare bathroom wich is halfway down the basement steps. The thermostat for this zone is in the dining room near the wood stove. The second zone is for the two bedrooms also on the main floor. I want to add a third zone with the thermostat in the spare bathroom & while running the pipes through the basement from the boiler insall a toe kick type heater unit inthe basement ceiling so when the spare bath room calls for heat the basement will also get some heat. The basement is unfinished so I'm not worried about temperature regulation there, only in the spare bathroom!

My question is does someone make a flush mount ceiling installed heater thath will fit in an open ceiling bay or do I have to buy a wall mounted one?

I hope this answers your questions, if not ask away!

Zig
  • Zig
    Ceiling heater

The 9-8 got in the title by accident.

Sorry,

Zig
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited February 2011
    Beacon morris or Myson

http://www.beacon-morris.com/html/hvac_heat_heating_litlibrary.asp

anything fits the bill there. Look under floor vector.

http://www.mysoninc.com/
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Ceiling Heaters:

This isn't the best idea to come along but if you are going to try it, look at Smith's Environmental. They make "The Quiet One". Their floor unit is a designed floor unit. Not a toe kick heater put in a afterthought box. It has a really quality grill. It is well designed to do its job in a floor.
  • Zig
    ceilig heater

Thanks for the reply.

If I put a heater on the floor in the basement, it will be below the circulator pump, I'm not sure if I can do that, that is why I was thinking of a toe kick type heater to mount in the ceiling. I'm not a plumber or HVAC man but I am pretty handy.

I've been checking on line and have'nt found what I,m looking for yet, so it makes me wonder if it is even available.

Any inormation will help!

Thanks,

Zig
This discussion has been closed.