Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

lowering hot water temp

eappleton
eappleton Member Posts: 111
Our hot water at the tap is very hot (170 degrees). I'm trying to lower it to 130 or so. I'm I'm pretty sure I can use the hot water tempering valve at the juncture of the cold and hot water lines to do this, but there is a scary tag on it that seems to say it can't be used to control the temperature at the tap:

"Watts Hot Water Extender Tempering Valves cannot be used for tempering

water temperature at fixtures."

The tempering valve says hotter and colder on the top. Can I just turn this screw counterclockwise? What are the warnings about?

(the installation document for the valve is attached.)
Single-pipe steam | 24 apartment, self-managed coop | Federal FST-40 Scotch Marine boiler | Carlin 701CRD burner | Heat Timer EPU-CH | Honeywell pressuretrols | Heating oil #2 (20% bio)

Comments

04090 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2011
    Intriguing question

Did you try adjusting it per the manual you posted?

To change the temperature of the water, loosen the Lock Nut to

free the Adjusting Screw. Turn clockwise to attain cooler water

and counterclockwise to attain hotter water. A full turn of the

Adjusting Screw is equal to approximately 10°F. Watts recommends

that a temperature gauge be installed on the tempered

line and be checked at least monthly under normal flow conditions.

The gauge may be installed in the tempered line at least

6 ft. away from the tempering valve.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    There is a reason...

why Watts puts that scary label on (and it's not just to make the lawyers happy).  When there is no flow, the valve sense that the water is cool, and it adjusts itself to try and warm the water up -- by opening the hot water side all the way.  Then, when you turn on the tap, you may get a slug of fiercely hot water before the valve can react to temper it.  Depending on exactly where the valve is in relation to the fixture(s) (farther away is better) and the piping in between, this may or may not turn out to be a concern.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.