Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Badguy stole my copper-Now I need to replumb system

vbquick1
vbquick1 Member Posts: 2
I have a rental property that I was planning on renting to a new tenant today, and upon arrival at the house found that the copper piping had been stolen from the basement. The thief took some of the copper, but not all. The main line to the house was removed along with mostly water feed pipes such as sinks, bathtub, and toilet. I am fine with replacing those pipes. The reason I am posting is the thief also removed a portion of piping on my oil burning furnace....which I am not really familiar with. The research I have done so far suggests that the system is a one zone, oil burning system with radiators. One 1/2 copper pipe was broken off the cold side just before the pump. The 1/2 copper pipe was Tee'd into a larger galvanized steel pipe. I believe from the broken ends that this pipe was connected to a cold side supply line, possibly with an expensive anti siphone valve in-line??? Any input on that would be greatly appreciated. The second part of my post has me really stumped. There are two in-line tee's next to each other....one being on the feed side and one on the return of 3 inch galvanized piping. The third leg of the tee is 1/2 female npt with a male adapter inserted going to 1/2 copper pipe (Stolen). I do not know where either of these lines would go....and I wonder if they connect to each other. (image below) I am not sure why there would be a connection in the basement between these two lines, but who knows?? Please help. In the pic there is another 3 in line behind the one in front.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    More Info

What type of radiation do you have? Cast iron rads? Is or was there ever a rad under the floor joists? Some pics of your boiler and near boiler piping would help.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • vbquick1
    vbquick1 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Cast Iron radiators

It is cast iron radiators. It evidently was an old coal burning system that has been converted to oil. I replumbed everything except the ports in question. I plugged them for now. I dont know of any other radiators other than the big giant onces that stand up in each room.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,783
    edited February 2011
    gravity

Sorry for your loss but At $3 per pound at the scrap yard I am not surprised ... Looks like a converted gravity system and a later radiator add on ... One large pipe would be the supply and the other the return ..The risers to the radiator should have a constant rise up to the radiator tappings .. If pex is used you need to use a Heat pex with a oxogen barrier ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.