Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Supplemental Radiant Floor

Options
jonnyz
jonnyz Member Posts: 7
Hello and thanks for reading,

My boiler is only a few yeards old, and it is a closed loop hot water system with cast iron radiators.  It has two 2-1/2" headers that feed most of the house.  At some point, a third 3/4" copper line was added to the primary in/out pipes from the boiler, essentially creating another header but to heat one sole radiator. 

My question is can i simply tee off that recently installed 3/4" supply and return line to heat ~280 LF of pex radiant flooring?  I read alot about zoning, and pumps, and manifolds, but i simply just want to run hot water under the floor to supplement the rooms heating and keep the floors comfortable.

Any advice would be very helpful

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    if you

dont care about output, you can do a suspended tube for basic floor conditioning that way.

but how you guarantee flow through the loop, which will have a much higher flow resistance than the radiators, will be an issue. Also, zoning. Can't just run it all the time, need some kind of control device.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • jonnyz
    jonnyz Member Posts: 7
    Options
    resistance

thank you for the respnse, I am only concerned with conditioning because I will still have a primary heat source in the room

yes i am concerned about resistance. there is only one other radiator on this line, and that radiator seems to work just fine the way it is setup.  Also, the  boiler only runs for 20-30 min every  one to two hours, and the water temp only gets to about 120 deg. before the house is up to temp.  I dont think it should be a problem if they run the same amount of the time as the other radiators

its a 150,000 btu boiler in a 2500 sf house
This discussion has been closed.