Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating issue

Accent
Accent Member Posts: 2
I have a 5 year old gas Utica boiler, the 1 zone works great and the other doesn't work. The pipes are not getting hot. I checked the zone valve and still nothing. What would you guess it could be?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    When you say you checked the zone

valve, how did you check it? What make of Zone Valves? Watch out in this very cold weather people have been having pipes freeze. In particular pipes that run along the outside of the house.
  • Accent
    Accent Member Posts: 2
    Follow up

Yeah it was the zone valve. I replaced the thermostat upstairs today. The water is definitely flowing through the lines but it is not getting hot.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    What is

the boiler pressure?

If the boiler is hot (meaning that the one working zone is hot), the other zone should also be seeing the same water temperature.

What tells you there is flow? If a noise, the zone may be air-bound and thus the pipe will not be hot. Warm maybe by conductance, but not hot.

If your house is two stories, the minimum pressure I would want to see in the basement is 12 psi. If the house is taller, say three stories, 18 psi. If less than 12, I suspect that the system pressure has dropped and your upper floor radiators are high and dry. Start there, system pressure.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.