Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Freewatt System

Options
Does anyone know if and how a Freewatt system works with existing steam radiator heat?

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Freewatt

I don't know that much about it though I think it now has a HW setup available. There was some discussion on the Freewatt system on the  Main Wall recently. You might look back at the last week or two on the Main Wall.

- Rod
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    I kind of like the idea...

but, in a word, it doesn't.  The available heat from the exhaust and the engine cooling is too low a grade (too low in temperature) to be of much use for steam heating; it certainly wouldn't boil water.

So... you would still need a conventional boiler.  You might, however, be able to use the Freewatt system to provide the electricity to run the burner (you get a whopping 1.2 KW from the system... ) (for reference, that's 10 amps at 120 volts; my boiler is fused for 15 amps, so it might not be enough).

Thank you for the question, though -- as I said, I kind of like the idea, but to run my place I would need 40 of them.  Right...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited January 2011
    Options
    freewatt system

Freewatt is a co generation system, it is strictly forced hot water system or warm air system, provides electricity for 1/2 price compared to utility charges and hot water is generated as by product. System consists of water cooled gas fired generator, high efficiency condensing boiler and storage tank, along with controls and web access. To use freewatt you would have to convert steam system to forced hot water system.Also, if you look at the bottom of this page, there is a product of the month, Freewatt. Just click on it.
This discussion has been closed.