Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GAS DETECTORS

Options
GREENMAN
GREENMAN Member Posts: 25
WHICH GAS DETECTOR WOULD NOT GIVE A FALSE READING WHEN THERE IS PIPE DOPE PRESENT AT THE JOINTS. DOES ANYONE KNOW.

SOAP AND WATER WORK WELL BUT I 'LL LIKE TO BUY AN ELECTRONIC TESTER

THANKS

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    edited January 2011
    Options
    no such thing

All gas detectors will alert when a petroleum based pipe dope is used. For gas you need to use a product without petroleum. There are a lot of Teflon based dopes out there but I've been using Megaloc for years with great results. Also a heads up, typing in caps is bad on-line etiquette, it's considered yelling.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Gas Detectors

A gas detector will show the general idea of the location of a leak . I have one sitting in the truck for years ... I find a good bubble solution like Big Blue with show you the slightest leak ... Far better then soapy water...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Gas detectors are designed

to be used as a safety device to measure percent of gas in an environment. With natural gas the Upper (14.5 % gas) and Lower explosive limits (4.5% gas) are measurable with the detector. Or for LP it is 2.15 to 9.6%. Any reading above 2% you should evacuate the building and call the utility or propane company. NEVER  enter a building were you smell gas unless you can determine % of gas with a good detector. Any thing less than 2% proceed with caution ventilating the area and make sure all sources of ignition are secure. An easy way to remember is above 2% you evacuate below you ventilate.

They are not the best for pinpointing gas leaks. Better to either do a test using the test dial on the meter with all pilots shut off to show that there actually is a leak.There would be movement of the 1/2 foot test dial. Or another method is by using a U gauge (manometer) and see if there is a pressure drop. To finally pinpoint leaks is to use non-corrosive soap and water.
  • GREENMAN
    GREENMAN Member Posts: 25
    Options
    GAS

Thank you all
This discussion has been closed.