Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is the best way to wire a unit heater in my garage?

Options
coalcat
coalcat Member Posts: 3
I am putting a unit heater in my garage not sure how to have it wired. What is the best way.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    I am assuming

you are talking about a Modine type heater with a coil which is fed from you boiler versus a gas fired unit heater?

If it is from the boiler what do you now have for controls on the boiler and how many zones?
  • coalcat
    Options
    unit heater configuration

Sorry it is for a keystoker boiler, i have three zones controled by honeywell zone valves. Yes it is similar to a modine unit heater, the motor is capable of variable speeds so I was told I could use a rheostat and a 110volt line loop thermostat and no zone valve, just circulate water all the time. I would think there would be a lot of wasted heat.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Put a thermostat in the garage

have it power a switching relay to bring on the circulator and the burner, basically just another zone. Make sure the burner circuit is wired through the boiler high limit.

Another alternative is to use a SPDT strap on aquastat wired in conjunction with a thermostat so the R to B (Normally closed opens on a temperature rise) and the R to W (Normally open closes on a temperature rise) can be wired through a Multizone panel.

If I knew all the controls you have on the system it would be easier to put something together for you.
  • coalcat
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for you help I appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.