Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inlet pipe restricters 2-pipe steam

Options
Hi, in refurbishing a 1920s 2-pipe system in a fairly large house (nearly 30 radiators) we're finding some radiators have small "orifice" washers placed just after the inlet valve - basically a metal disc with a small hole drilled in the middle. They're on some radiators but not others, and the hole size varies as well, perhaps from 1/8 to 3/16 or so. My understanding was that this was to restrict steam to some radiators as part of balancing the system, is that right? And how important is it to replace these - can't we get the same effect by partially closing the inlet valve?

If we do need them, where can we get them? Most of the ones we're taking out are rusty and bent. The inlet pipes are almost all 3/4".

We're replacing all the inlet valves and steam traps so would be easier to put these in now than later if we do need them.

thanks! James

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Inlet Orifices

Hi- Those "plates" are inlet orifices and control the amount of steam entering the radiator. As you have noticed the orifices are different sizes to match the size of radiator.

Orifice plates are available from Tunstall http://www.tunstall-inc.com/inletorifice.html

and attached is an article by Henry Gifford on orifices and sizing orifices.

- Rod
  • uptonst
    Options
    thanks - but why not use the valve for this function?

Many thanks, this is very useful. Do I understand from this that I'm wasting time/money replacing the old steam traps, or is it useful to have both orifice and trap?

But again, I still don't quite see how the orifice is performing a different function from the valve. Clearly for a TRV it would be different, since the TRV will open and close fully according to temp. But with a regular valve (which is what we're using) would we not get the same result as with the orifice by just cracking the valve open by different amounts according to radiator size? Given the thread size on the valve, it should be possible to calculate whether say 1/4 or 1/2 turn on the valve corresponds to a particular hole size in the orifice. Using the valve like this also gives more flexibility and eliminates danger of clogging, no?

Thanks again, James
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    People can mess with valves

and they will mess with them too. Also how do you measure the the amount a valve is open? The valve opening will vary depending on how warm the stem is. Expansion of brass will drive you nuts trying to balance the system and then someone will open or close them and throw the whole thing out of whack again. Remember the dead man who installed those orifice plates was paid extra to put them there. Few people paid extra for things they did not need with steam systems.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Two things...

first place, Charles is right.  It's one of Murphy's Laws.  I folks are left to themselves, and there is something to fiddle with, they will fiddle.  The results may -- or may not -- be just fine.

Second, some two pipe steam systems are vapour systems, and some vapour systems do not have traps on the radiator outlets.  The dead men, instead, counted on two things to make them work: orifices on the radiator inlets to ensure that no more steam than could be condensed could possibly enter the radiator, and very low pressure to make sure the orifices work.  Before you take them all out and forget which radiator which one came from, at least do yourself the favour of noting what size orifice was in which radiator, so that if you find out that your system is one of those vapour systems which absolutely have to have them to work you can replace them.

This has nothing to do with "balancing the system".  It is simply essential, to make it work at all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • uptonst
    Options
    OK, makes sense

sounds like I better get hold of some of these orifices! thanks again, James
  • uptonst
    Options
    it's a vapour system!

Hi, I went ahead and installed the orifices using the drill sizes listed in the article, fired it up and it seemed to be working. But...I realize now from Dan H's book that mine is a vapour system, with much lower pressure than the 2psi in the article. Does that mean I've drilled all the holes too small? If so is there a similar table for vapour systems? (I saw the 1931 article on this too, it's based on 2-3psi also, has actually even smaller drill sizes per EDR). Thanks! James
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Inlet Orifices

Lower the pressure and see how that works. Orifices can easily be drilled out if you really feel that would be an improvement. Please let us know what you find out as a lot of people are interested in orifices for steam.

- Rod
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    tables would be helpful

I wonder if anyone, especially the pros might have a table that would provide orifice sizes for lower pressures, such as 1 psi or 8 oz. 

I know that Dunham was offering regulating plates for the vapor systems.  But, the materials that I have been able to find to not reference any size or rating information.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    It would be nice...

if there were such a table, or tables.  But I have a nasty suspicion that the dead men who worked on these systems may have done it largely by "feel".  The correct orifice size for a given radiator on a given system at a given pressure... urgh.  Lots of variables there, but the sort of thing which one would get a feel for without being able to quantify it.

Fortunately, not hard to play with -- start small, and if the radiator doesn't heat across ream it out a little!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • As you may have guessed.....

I have a table from a 1931 article....however, I forgot where I found it.  I do have a hard copy.  Tunstall also has sizing tables, though, so give them a call.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.