Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin part #question

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,139
Looking for the part number or a source for the plug for the dungs  gas valve which has a invertor built into it for a munchkin 140 .It s invertor convertors 24 ac to 24 dc ,Had a buddy call me that his 140 was down and he stated he had to buy the whole harness kit  which no one in the area has (75 mile area and local dist had nothing  )well i had access to a 140 and took the plug off leaving enough to splice it back late ,wondering if i should have a few spare ones in stock it seems  htp wants you to buy the whole harness kit wonder if any one else has ran into this ?this unit has been in about 6 years gone through 2 blower motors and he changes the swirl plate about year ,vents have a good seperation on them and i would find it  hard to believe that it's re circ flue gas the vents are at least 24 inches apart and about 18 inches in height difference also on the south side of the home where it is not exposed to much wind .I did not install this unit but it is in my neighborhood and i know the guy thansk for any input .peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Question are they vented with

PVC or CPVC? If so I am finding recirculated chemicals from plastic vents and air intake cause problems with several different types of Mod/Cons. Tough to put your finger on directly but have seen this on six units right in my general area with some of my neighbors who have had units in for around six to seven years. They have had problems with blower motors and swirl plates.

Some of these had real tough time getting them clean if they went longer than two heating seasons. The coils had a very hard to remove green coating some of which was turning a sort of tan color. The contractor had to use a stiff brush and some chemical cleaners to get them clean. They replaced all new gaskets and back plate in the chamber.

One unit had its vent changed to a stainless steel vent but left the PVC air intake alone. This was just done this winter, the owner is a Master Fitter here in RI and said he went to a trade show and someone there in a class told him to change the vent to a polypropylene, problem was he could not find any here in this area. I hear from my friends in Canada they are using only ULC S636 for venting.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Questions:

Tim,

I sent you an E-mail about this. I'm not sure you got it. Did you?

CMG
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,139
    pvc venting

Hello Tim thanks for your responce around here you will mostly see PVC venting some done correctly others a eye sore .The promblems i see with swirl plates i believe is there exposure to a wide difference in temps and the materal they are made of as for they falling apart who is to say wheather it is temperture or flue gas re circ .This last one ilooked at the exhaust and inlet where at least 2 ft apart and at different levels and on the non windy side of the home but the system was also i hi temp baseboard with no reset and a older control with out the longer pre and post blower purge .Nothing last forever and as hard as most of these mod cons work when operating replaing failing parts here and there is no big issue as long as the HO are aware that these are not as forgiving as aold pilot light cast iron boilers .The part that gets me is the fact that the supply houses and reps push this stuff and stock nothing leaving the installation service co to look bad and take the brunt of the BS from the HO when parts are not ready avaiable .In my area the local rep used to stock parts and then the gentle man retired sold his company and now they stock nothing they will order the parts but that does no good when it is 5 outside.I know i will no longer install HTP produts period i will use peerless and ecr in the future the supply house which sells them stocks  ever part and are quicker to respond when a real issue arises .I am still looking for the gas valve connector with the built in invertor instead of buying a whole harness kit and throwing way the rest of it for one part very smart on there part .I know i am married to the ones i installed and truely realize that at the time they where the first taking steps in the usa and also that they took the brunt of alot of bad rap which had nothing to do with the equiptment but mostly with bad installs by sub par installers who where behind in there methods of reading and  comperhending and follwing easy instructions .If you have any leads on obtaining the plugs for these valve please drop me a e mail thanks again peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Icesailor I did not

receive an e-mail. My e-mail is gastc@cox.net
This discussion has been closed.