Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Manifolds below tubing?

Options
I am doing a small house radiant project with quick trak upstairs and wall rads downstairs. It would be nice to place all my manifolds on the boiler wall in the basement. Is there a functional difference in doing it this way vs doing a remote manifold upstairs? I'm going to put in uponor manifolds and isolation valves for purging and power flushing near my boiler. Will I have trouble with trapped air forming in the tubing down the road? I could talk to the homeowners about putting a manifold into one of the closets but space is at a premium and I don't want to do the extra work if there is no real difference.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Shouldn't matter...

But home running is a LOT more expensive labor wise than running a long running main with individual branches to sub field located manifolds.

You said "I don't want to do the extra work if there is no real difference."

Labor is my most expensive commodity. It should be yours as well if you evaluate your time correctly...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Remote Manifolds

I think it would be better all around to run leaders to a second floor manifold and keep your loop lengths under control and within limits. Have the carpenter make one wall in the closet a 2"x6" wall and keep the manifolds in the wall covered with an access panel.Keep the manifolds up high and supply and return in separate beam space.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Paulypfunk
    Paulypfunk Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Aye, there's the rub

Yes, which would be less work?  Running home runs would involve drilling about 20 more holes across the petrified true dimensional 2x4's, or I get to make the maniflold station by carving it out of the lathe and plaster closet, which is tiny by the way.  The best candidate, the "master bedroom' has a closet of about 2'x4' with built in shelving, which I will need to remove/adapt to build in a wall box.  No carpenters around and no 2x6' walls on this one.  We are getting near the upper limit for the loop limits, but within perameters if we do home runs which is why I was asking about the trapped air, it might be the deciding factor on which way to approach this job.
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    Options
    enclosure

If you use a pre-fabbed steel manifold enclosure you could mount it anywhere, I am putting one right in the middle of a living room wall right now because there was no where else to put it.
This discussion has been closed.