Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Raypak Gas Valve

Options
Hello!

I have an older Raypak H-0030B onto which a Honeywell gas valve (VR8345M4302) was recently installed. Another installer said this is not the right valve for this boiler and that's why it's not lighting regularly (takes a minimum of 25 seconds of sparking to light the pilot; often locks out after 90 seconds on the first try, and then lights on the second or third attempt (25 seconds in) with a loud BOOM - presumably because of the built-up gas). Burners then fire with another BOOM.

The original Raypak valve part number is: 601232

Raypak says the current valve part number is: 006957F

But I cannot find anything that will reconcile the Raypak part number with a Honeywell valve. And Raypak doesn't seem willing to provide me an answer.

The unit lit fine until I recently had it deep cleaned, and the Honeywell IID pilot replaced.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• burky1957
    burky1957 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Raypak Gas Valve

Why don't you get the gas valve from Raypak.

Manufactures often make changes to the ignition systems to have them operate properly. The ignition control, gas valve, igniter and flame sensor may need to be matched to perform properly.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,626
    Options
    The Honeywell VR8345M gas valve is

a Universal replacement gas valve that will replace any Intermittent pilot ignition, direct ignition and hot surface ignition so it should be okay. The ignition timing sequence is controlled by the module which once the pilot is lit and proves the flame through the principle of flame rectification the main burner should light.

Now you said you had it cleaned and they replaced the pilot, that sends up a red flag for me. Was a pilot safety turn down test completed which will determine safe light off of the main burners in 4 seconds or less with no appreciable ignition noise or problem

What is the make and number of the module on the Raypak?

Raypak numbers in fact any furnace or boiler manufacturer has there own catalog numbering system and 95% of the time it is impossible to cross reference those numbers over to an after market in the case of Honeywell Tradeline number. Just part of the complexity of the gas equipment world.
  • MileHigh
    MileHigh Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks, Tim.

I can't say for certain whether he did a safety turn down test - but there have never been any pilot to burner ignition issues (burners ignite quickly once the pilot is established - even if there is a bit of a "boom," which had always been the case with this unit).

It's a Raypak H-0030B.

I managed to connect with the Raypak help desk who confirmed that their part number corresponds to the Honeywell VR8204YK2703 - which I am not authorized to buy from Honeywell. Presumably it's manufactured for Raypak and available only via their reps.

I adjusted the pilot a bit (less air) and it has been lighting a bit more consistently now, and rarely locks out. But given the new hardware, I don't think it should ever lock out. When I get down, it appears as though the spark is arc'ing downwards, rather than up towards the pilot gas hole - but I can't be certain as visibility is terrible...

It's an ongoing battle with the installer!
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    The VR8345M is a Universal replacement

for all Honeywell Intermittent pilot valves so it is okay.

There is no reason for a burner to come on with an audible ignition someone needs to do some combustion testing and adjustment with a combustion tester.

Why was the pilot changed as you mentioned in your first posting?
  • MileHigh
    MileHigh Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I'll see who I can find...

...who might be able to do a combustion check. I'm mostly concerned about the audible combustion at the pilot.

The pilot was replaced because of overall neglect of the unit - the wiring was melting due to excessive heat not being able to escape the boiler combustion chamber due to an almost blocked heat exchanger. The roll out tripped a number of times - which is what signaled me to have the unit examined and led to the deep clean. My first experience with a boiler... lesson learned.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Are you in Denver?

I am.

Have combustion analyzer (and $7,000.00 worth of other diagnostic tools).

Will travel.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim McElwain
    Options
    The audible igntion

can be the result of a poor combustion condition.

If you are near Mark E. he is the best, I guarantee a quality job.

Raypaks are known to have issues with corrosion in the sections and need a lot of care on an annual basis.
This discussion has been closed.