Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

advice

m dewolfe
m dewolfe Member Posts: 92
in the last couple of weeks I have noticed a small water leak under my 30 year old boiler and my service company says its time to replace the entire boiler. They did a complete heatloss and recomended a 105k btu Burnham MPO boiler and a replacement oil tank as well. after some research I have read very very poor reviews. Many customers have reported that they cracked in a very short time. I would love to hear from some pros and get some feedback.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    You are ....

Mistaken. The MPO is a new design, Mfg, and a step forward in a lot of respects. I have heard nothing but GOOD reports  The issues were on a V7 model. It is a good unit.... I would install it if I could readily get a hold of it. kpc
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    MPO boiler

Pros and cons on everything. I know and respect Kcopp and his opinion of the Burnham, but with all the failures I see in my insurance investigation work with Burnhams, including the V-8 boilers, I just would have trouble putting any confidence in the product. Burnham has been great in backing up warranties but their track record with castings isn't all that great, in my opinion.

While I hear a lot of good things about the MPO and the Megasteam boilers, I'd want a little longer track record before jumping on the band wagon. I have nothing against Burnham in any way, but they have had problems and I would want to see a little more longevity before deciding on one on their products. Just common sense to me.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Yes it is a go0od design

in fact when converted to a natural gas or propane conversion burner it is even better.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    conversion burner in a Burnham

Tim, Burnham has said the it will not warranty their oil boilers if converted to gas. Did I miss something, or have they changed their mind? We did a survey here in Maine a couple years ago as the State was going to ban conversion burners in UL approved oil boilers due to the fact the boiler was never UL listed for gas.. However, all the manufacturer's told us we could convert, except Burnham....what's up?
  • m dewolfe
    Burnham

We have to stick with oil. If not an MPO boiler what would you recomend?
  • m dewolfe
    Burnham

We have to stick with oil. If not an MPO boiler what would you recomend?
  • Boiler Choice

I would use a Utica Tri-fire, Utica has a great track record. I put a couple of these in and they are a great product.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    I guess the answer.....

would be... depends. If you have Finn Tube baseboard, then a Biasi /Solaia /Trio/ Pensotti  3 pass that is Low mass. If you have cast iron rads then maybe a Buderus 115. Either way a 3 pass boiler is the way to go. The installer is the key. Ask for referances and examples of their work.

kpc
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    The truth is

all warranties are voided when you put a conversion burner in any equipment, All the boilers and furnaces I ever converted were either out of warranty or I took on the warranty myself.

If a manufacturer chose to do so they could void warranty if you installed a different manufacturers control on a unit other than the one it was sold with.

The reason Burnham will not warranty any conversions is that they were not able to see the kind of efficiency they would like to have on all there boilers.

I cringe to tell you the truth because there are a lot of people out there who have a license and are installing conversion burners. Some do not even do a combustion test.
This discussion has been closed.