Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic 5 gallon #2 fuel oil dispenser

LarryC
LarryC Member Posts: 331
Wallies,

I am thinking about setting up a business to sell B100 biodiesel to the public in 5 gallon jerry cans.  Similar in concept to the 20 pound propane cylinder business. 

One of MANY details is how to fill the fuel containers in a semi-automated means.  Semi-automated means manually put the nozzle in the tank, press the start button and have the fuel cut off when it reaches the appropriate amount.  I see multiple suitable flow meters out there, but I do not see one where I can set the amount and have it shut off when that amount has been dispensed.

Any idea of vendors?

Thanks.

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Use a scale

scales are available with a resettable relay.  A balance scale could be easily set up with a micro switch if you want to save some bucks. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    Issue would be

The fire department permits and inspects all fuel storage in most areas I work. The 20 pound cylinders are not allowed inside a building or for permanent heating systems. It is also much cheaper and greener to deliver the fuel as a bulk product to a permanent holding tank.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Why?

Why would anyone want to buy just 5 gallons of biodiesel - in a jerry can no less?

5 gallons won't last very long as heating oil.  One could just buy kero or diesel from a gas station if they ran out of fuel oil at home.

Same thing if their diesel vehicle ran out of fuel,  just go to a gas station.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Stop discouraging the guy

Maybe he has access to alot of free cooking oil and maybe he has some customers who would like to buy some homegrown oil. Whatever his reasons, all he ask for was a mechanism to perform the required task. Answer his question or leave him alone! Sounds like your saying...

Why bother living if all your going to do is die!!! Negativity sucks
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Larry for assitance with

what you are looking to do, go to a reputable Propane dealer who sells 20 pounders and find out what they use in your area to stay within the law.
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks for the replies. 

Like I said, I am in the beginning part of checking out a business idea.  The intended market are those people who wish to run B10 or B20 in their vehicles, or wish to run B5 in their oil burners.  None of the local fuel companies offer it yet.  The advantage of small containers is that they can mix it if they want.  It is also my understanding that B100 makes an outstanding parts washer fluid without the health, disposal, and fire hazard of chlorinated solvents.

I have to stop the marketing before I break our host's "No Advertising" rule. 

I am assuming that if I sell this product, I will have to comply with weights and measures regulations.  I am just wondering what kind of small scale equipment is out there.

Please continue with any ideas you have.  If I can't take the crititism then I don't belong in business.

LarryC
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Not negativity

You are reading too much into what I wrote/asked.

What,  no one else wondered why?
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    I wondered too..

But you asked the question before I did.

Don't think the questions are unreasonable. These are the type of questions anyone starting a business will have to ask themselves before committing to it. If you don't ask yourself, certainly prospective investors in a new business will, and Larry seems to have some reasonable answers.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Before you worry about a means of filling tanks....

I'd suggest that you check with the NFPA and DOT about what their concerns with your new enterprise might be. I don't believe they will accept the use of a conventional Jerry Can for moving and selling fuel. The least expensive code approved 5 gallon can I saw was $50.00 and as high as $200.00

THat is going to drive the cost of your fuel to a price that may disallow it based on simple economics.

ME.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    How do they sell

Lamp oil in bulk? I think it would just be fuel barrels like they ship paint thinner and other fluids. Call a barrel supply near you and ask what they have for bio fuel barrels. the issue I raised was the storage vessel. As far as people adding bio to home systems they can simply take a funnel and pour it in the fill to their tank. http://www.bayteccontainers.com/newstdrandco.html
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.