Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multi Fuel Furnace 6500 Help!!!

knj
knj Member Posts: 5
This is our 2nd year using our Multi Fuel Furnace 6500, now I am getting soot in my vents and now throughout my whole house why?My walls have black soot on them! This never happened before. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Soot Help:

I hope you have a CO detector inside your house.

It sounds like you have a cracked or burned through heat exchanger.

I'd shut that thing off.

If you have a decent draft guage, turn off the blower, put the sensor in the exhause at the breaching or if there is a test hole that goes in to the fire side of the unit. Notice what the draft is, Turn on the blower. If the draft changes, you have a hole. Shut it off.
  • knj
    Thanks

We are checking for CO2, but I don't think thats it.Thank you for the response though. Anything eles if thats not it? 
  • icesailor
    CO Help:

It's not CO2, Carbon Dioxide that you need to worry about, it's CO, Carbon Monoxide you need to worry about. That will kill you dead. Quickly.

I once read that if a room would hold 10,000 ping pong balls ans each ping pong represented a part of air, if four balls were Carbon Monoxide, it would kill you. The more CO ping balls, the faster it kills you.

Go out right now and buy a good CO detector. Don't buy the cheapest one you can find. Your life is worth more than that. Then, charge it up and put it over a supply grill for your wood furnace. If you are getting any CO, get out. CO is accumulative. For one hour of exposure, it takes five to ten hours of fresh air to get rid of it. The CO binds with the Hemoglobin in your blood and stops the ability of Hemoglobin to transport oxygen. If you see sook/smoke, you have CO.
  • knj
    CO

I'm sorry thats what I meant CO. We are checking into that. If its not that then what could it be?Thanks again!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    KNJ Immediately call

your local fuel provider and the fire department  before someone gets killed by CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. CO IS NOT DETECTABLE IT HAS NO ODOR OR SIGN TO LET YOU KNOW IT IS THERE. HOWEVER YOU HAVE A SIGN THE SOOT IS CO!!!
  • knj
    Thanks!

The multi Fuel furnace is off! Thank you! I am calling someone out to check this out!
  • knj
    Not CO

Hi! Just to let you know I had both of my furnaces checked out and neither one has a CO leak. So we still do not know why this black ash is going through our vents every where. Thank you for your concern.
  • icesailor
    No CO

Just because you are not registering CO doesn't mean that it isn't present. If you are seeing soot in the house, and you see it over the heating outlets and in the room corners by the ceilings, you have exhaust getting from the fire side to the house side. There is no other answer. You may have had an issue during some weather incident.

If you came home from work one day and found your walls black with soot but no fire, no matter how hard you looked, you had a fire at sometime during the time you were away. Smoke is the sign of carbon being released from some material that trapped CO2 in ancient times. It was released by heat. The heat source went away or the oxygen source went away. There is no other answer. I hope you bought a CO detector and installed it, It may go off.

If you have an old house and the wood heater is venting into an old chimney, it could be venting in a wall space or under the house. If you see soot stains, carefully look around along floors and such and see if you find spots where it is thicker. If you have a very tight house, you can easily overcome the draft and suck soot back. You may get used to the soot smell. Someone else like me would be overwhelmed at first. Find the source. Soot is as deadly for the lungs as CO is to the body. Just slower.
  • haventseenenough
    haventseenenough Member Posts: 61
    haventseenenough

Have you checked for negative pressure in your home? And have you smoke tested your heat exchanger?
This discussion has been closed.