Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do you think

I took 2 radiators out today that a have twice the sections I need for my porches I enclosed. Do you think I can control the output with slow venting?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    control the output

yes, with slow venting, and that old persian carpet [from one of your many foreign jobs} over the top of the radiator, it will be reduced in output, and just right. if not then turn the vent upside down.--nbc
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited January 2011
    Throw a TRV on it....

Set point satisfied, vent is closed, no steam enters, Danfoss

http://na.heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/Instructions%20RA2000%201PS.pdf

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    TRV

These Radiators are small ones with 1" connections. I have 9; 3/4 valves I was going to use to convert to hot water before I met Dan. Do you think they would work reducing down at the radiator or am I asking for trouble that way?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,131
    If this is 1 pipe...

which you imply from the venting question, in my humble opinion the 3/4" inlet valves may cause trouble from condensate not being able to get back out as the steam is going in.  Gurgle gurgle... maybe even hammer... possibly poor heating.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Thinking

Jamie: That's what I was thinking. I have seen radiators working on 3/4 lines. But I need to consider that the valve is going to close and that probably will trap condensate. So what will happen when it opens probably (bang, bang).

I was wondering if anyone tried it and if it worked,

Does my memory serve me right is there a thermostatic valve that goes on the vent side.

Trying to use up what I have may be more costly that what it is worth.

After I ask the question the Danfoss sight comes up. Probably the best route is pipe them right and get the right valve. Then I can have heat there if I want or turn them off with out trapping condensate.

Thanks for the sounding board help.
This discussion has been closed.