Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one radiator is not heating (one pipe system)

Options
mbon
mbon Member Posts: 7
We swapped our kitchen radiator for a more decorative one from an upstairs bedroom, but now the former kitchen radiator is not heating in the bedroom.  There is no water hammer & I can hear the air coming from the vent, but absoluately no heat.  If the vent were bad, would that potentially cause it not to heat?  Or should we try pitching the radiator back towards the riser some?  I can feel the heat @ the riser, but it doesn't go into the radiator.  My 1st though was that maybe the valve wasn't open, but since I hear the air from the vent, that doesn't make sense to me.  I'm sure our problem is simple since the radiator worked just fine in the kitchen, I just don't know enough about our system to know the most common causes for this issue. 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    Perhaps it's an obvious question

but was the radiator which you took out from the bedroom working while it was in the bedroom?  And the one in the kitchen was working when it was in the kitchen?

If they were, then unless something got bashed on the way upstairs, or you changed the vent, seems to me one could discount the vent and the radiator.  And if both were working, then it would seem that the piping is probably OK -- unless the inlet to the radiator which is now upstairs is significantly lower than the inlet to the radiator which was there -- in which case when you hooked it up you might have introduced a sag somewhere in the runout.

Is the valve on the one upstairs really open all the way?  They've been know to seem open, but actually be almost closed...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mbon
    Options
    re

The bedroom radiator was working prior to the move & it's working downstairs just fine.  And the kitchen radiator worked great when it was downstairs, but I don't know if my husband ever adjusted the vent when he moved it upstairs.  I would imagine that it should be opened further upstairs than when it was downstairs or isn't that correct?   
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Turn it up or raise it up

If the vent on the upstairs radiator is adjustable try turning it up to a higher number.

Measure from the floor up to the center of the connection to the radiator. If the radiator that is now downstairs is higher then you have to raise the radiator that is now upstairs by at least the difference, just use a lever and fulcrum to raise the radiator and slip a spacer under both sets of legs. I've used 1-1/2" wide pieces of plywood and it works quite well. Others have used quarters or checkers with success.

Also put a level on that radiator that won't heat and make sure it slopes towards the input valve.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • mbon
    Options
    thx I'll try those

When I get home I'll check the vent & slope on the radiator.  hopefully that'll take care of the problem. 
This discussion has been closed.